PC Shuts Off After 10 Seconds

Last response: in Systems
August 15, 2007 6:50:49 PM

So I just put together my new computer:
Q6600
XCLIO Windtunnel Case
8800 GTX
Gigabyte P35C mobo

So when I finally turned it on, I was extatic when I saw the BIOS come up. Everything seemed to be working...the fans (at least external ones) were all working including the 2 side ones from the computer. However, about 10-20ish seconds after it powered on, I heard a light clunk (sort of sounded like a cable hitting one of the fans), and a few seconds later, the computer (as well as all the fans, LCDs, etc.) all shut off. I opened up the case to, and as I did, the stock cooler for the Q6600 fell off. So I assumed it had just been a problem with that (I probably was installing it wrong...it didn't feel too secure when I first put it on the motherboard). I installed it again, and it felt much more secure, though one of the pins didn't seem to be holding. Still, I powered up the computer and it still shut itself off after 10-15 seconds. I checked the fan and it still was (somewhat) securely on the motherboard.

So I figured this:
1. It might be a short circuit. I can't help but wonder though why if it was a short circuit, it would stay on as long as it did. I think I installed all the spacers and all correctly.
2. It might be caused by loose wires. The inside of my computer is, at the moment, a total mess. I have lots of cables dangling around, though none seemed to be near anything important.
3. The CPU is overheating. However, could it really overheat in 10 seconds? Or does it automatically shut itself off if it's heating up too fast? The fan right now probably isn't making good enough contact with the CPU.

Any opinions or help is appreciated.

More about : shuts seconds

August 15, 2007 7:02:56 PM

A couple of questions........

What thermal paste did you use if any?

Did you reseat the CPU and reapply thermal paste after the cooler fell off?
August 15, 2007 8:29:52 PM

There's...uh....plastic on the bottom of the heat sink?

The instructions didn't tell me to apply any thermal paste. Gonna check on all that stuff in a bit.

Thanks guys
Related resources
August 15, 2007 10:01:05 PM

it should already be known that you neee to apply it... i saw a lot of "i think"'s in your thread, and this disheartens me... you cant just think you installed the heatsink right. if the heatsink is not properly seated the cpu will overheat and shut down the system. the plastic pad on the bottom of the heatsink is to mask the pre-spread thermal paste, so you need to take off that plastic pad and uncover the fact that there is already thermal paste on... if you installed the heatsink with the plastic cover on, your going to over heat... thermal paste might have not been in the instructions, but you should be sure you know what your doing when building the pc as they are delicate beings too ^^...
August 16, 2007 5:15:24 PM

DH_Invictus said:
it should already be known that you neee to apply it... i saw a lot of "i think"'s in your thread, and this disheartens me... you cant just think you installed the heatsink right. if the heatsink is not properly seated the cpu will overheat and shut down the system. the plastic pad on the bottom of the heatsink is to mask the pre-spread thermal paste, so you need to take off that plastic pad and uncover the fact that there is already thermal paste on... if you installed the heatsink with the plastic cover on, your going to over heat... thermal paste might have not been in the instructions, but you should be sure you know what your doing when building the pc as they are delicate beings too ^^...

Just finished installing Vista/ran 3dMark06 and got over 11000 with Vista running the Aero interface thing and no overclocking...not sure how that is lol. As for the plastic, there was none on it, and everything in my computer is running perfectly! No heat problems whatsoever! But yeah, the problem was the stupid CPU cooler wasn't seated properly. Thanks to the guys here at the forums for helping me set up mah computer! :love: 
August 16, 2007 8:48:09 PM

Glad to hear you got her working dude. Enjoy your new system!
August 25, 2007 5:53:14 PM

im having the exact same problem with my Q6600. The stock heatsink is firmly in place with thermal paste, but the comp still shuts off 3 sec after power up. everything is connected correctly and we have tried disconnecting the peripherals. When the psu 4pin is unplugged from the mb, it will power up, but when you plug it in, it will shut down right after powerup. we are stumped. is it just the crappy stock heatsink or what? thanks for any possible help
August 27, 2007 3:37:38 PM

Swim,

What are the specs on the other hardware for your system? GPU, PSU, HDDs, etc? Could be your PSU is not beefy enough to support it all and once it starts booting the various hardware it reaches a point where it just cant take it anymore.
August 27, 2007 4:13:10 PM

Swim Team said:
When the psu 4pin is unplugged from the mb, it will power up, but when you plug it in, it will shut down right after powerup. we are stumped. is it just the crappy stock heatsink or what? thanks for any possible help

Two possible problems. First is that you have a bad psu. Second, you have a short in the motherboard and when the 4 pin is connected, it fails. Since it does power up at all, I'd think about the psu first. Its also possible that the psu simply doesn't have enough watts. You didn't say what psu you have, so can't really answer that.

Try changing out the psu with a spare if you have one around or can borrow one. If the mobo powers up with the different psu, you found the problem. If it does the same thing, then the mobo is the next suspect. Oh yeah, I don't quite see how the heatsink would have anything to do with the 4 pin.
!