Best $50 AGP Video Card.

bosshoss

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004
Just thought I would share this. I was originally looking for a cheap video card for a HTPC in the $50 range for the old AGP bus and came across this 6800XE.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814141060

Installed it, worked fine, no probs. My old 6800GT in my sisters comp blew, so I had no choice to replace it with this card. I installed RivaTuner to see if I could fiddle around with it a little bit, and VOILA! I discovered this little guy has alot more potential than I thought. I was able to unlock ALL 16 pixel pipes, and 4 of 5 vertex pipes. I then took this bad boy up to 330/620, (from 275/580). There are some negative reviews of this card on Newegg, but I have since purchased 2 more, 1 for the original HTPC, and 1 more for more for my nieces PC and was able to do the exact same on all of them. Running solid for 2 months now with no problems. Plays WOW at max settings with FPS never dropping below 33. I did however jimmy-rig a fan to sit underneath the card to help with some more GPU and RAM cooling.

The only drawback I have discovered with this card is no temp readings. But we've had 24 hour game sessions and I have yet to see any artifacts. So for those of you on a tight budget who still have old AGP buses, take a look at this little guy.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Not bad seeing you got lucky with that card, but dont expect everyone to be able to do the samething, you just happened to hit the pot.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I think biostar video cards are better than sparkle cards or inno3d (ordinary ones).

But biostar much better if replaced with non stock vga coolant.