7900GS Overheating.

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
So i recently instaled new nvidia drivers : 162.18 from 93.81. I was allways using riva tuner to adjust fan speed for 2D/3D Separetly. But on new drivers fan never speeds up when i louch game.That cuses serious overheat
Temperatures go fro 75-90C Depending on load. 80C Cuses huge artifacts . And 82C Freezes computer and gives "Blue Scree" --> nv4_disp.dll (if i am not wrong). Reinstaling to old drivers didnt helped(I used driver cleaner to be sure evrything is clean). Uninstaliing riva and seting default for fan control did nothing. In desperate seearch i found that nTune application can set fan speed to 100% ..but this only work temporaly i mean -> I set to 100% then after alt - tabing game or PC restart it revert setings to auto and auto means 20% Fan speed all the time.

Thanks for any help in advance.

The 162.18 driver as well as being crap is a pain to remove, I would not trust any 'driver cleaner' program myself and as such I do the regedit thang, after which the 94.24 driver installs and works fine. BIOS flashing if not done correctly will kill your graphic card.

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I cant / dont know how to flash .There is no any simple untiliy on Driver CD. No either on producer page. Could you please tell me how to manualy set fan to 100% ? IN the registry.

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Ye but i did metion that RT cant change speed of fan. cant slow it or make it go faster. Since i instaled these drivers i cant change speed of fan by anyaplication except nTune

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Yes but i also did mention that it doesnt help. Problem persist after resintaling drivers. Riva Tuner stiiill cant change fan speed.

G

Flashing your video card BIOS may be dangerous as well as a big hastle. I wouldn't do it unless it was the last resort in which case you would still need to contact your card's manufacturer and beg their tech support to email it to you. I wouldn't trust one downloaded off the internet from someone other than the original manufacturer. I have a BFG 7800GS AGP on my other machine and use 162.18 drivers on it without issue. I hear the fan RPM ramp up after a little while of game play so I know its working. Maybe your fan is already running at 100% due to airflow/case heat issues??

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
No its not . Becouse i can set it to 100% from nTune then i hear big "WOOOO" and temp is droping to 60C loaded. but after tabing game or exiting then lounching again setings are reverted. So evrytime i want to play i need to use nTune to set cooler to 100% manualy.

G

OK. What brand card and model do you have? Have you blown out the heatsink to make sure it's not obstructed with a big dust bunny?

have you thought of just making a adapter to plug it into your psu's 12 volt line.

Note:
I know ati cards can run this way(not so safe since even stopping the fan does not warn you). have never tried with nvidia. they may beep at you for no fan.....

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Ye i did . I Tried i soft fix possible now ... Its somethink that drivers are not completly removed or fan speed is stored somewhere in the bios. And software can change it . Only nTune can but for shortperoid of time.

Like I said earlier, the only way that I would trust to remove the 162.18 driver is by deleting it via regedit which whilst not for the faint-hearted it's the only way to make sure, failing that a format and fresh install of windows will do the trick but with out installing either ntune or the 162.18 driver obviously.

kapuu

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Its PCX Galaxy 7900GS. Its quite a new. Fan is working properly. Only software have problems. Just curious about nVidia. You know when i see "WHQL" for me -> Normal user. Its ->"It will work and wont crash my computer". But i see nvidia missed that conception.
I would like to hear some advices how to find thse drivers in registry and delete them manualy.

My spec (Sorry didnt posted eariler):
mob : Asus P5B
cpu : C2D E6300 @ 2.8Ghz
ram : 2xPatriot 800Mhz(2x512) and 2xKingstone Hyperx 800Mhz (2x512)
Card metioned above.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

i didn't, i had just read a thread that said it was a 7900gs and had problems, i got confused, but my decision still sticks, because: in the pci-e situation, people would prefer a 1950pro over a gs stock because of cheaper and better stock performance. also, 7900gs's seem quite popular as agp...or is that the 7800gs...

Excellent [:mousemonkey:5] , And how chuffed do you feel now? :) , And as for 'WHQL' just look at the issues people are having with Vista, that should tell you all you need to know about what that means. [:mousemonkey:1]

Oh really, OK you keep believing that, if its what helps you sleep at night then you keep on believing. :lol:

On the performance aspect he is right look at the charts. The Pro is a better performer than the GS at STOCK. Overclock the GS and things change. The GS is an incredible overclocking card while I haven't heard the same for the Pro. Price wise, they are actually about the same IF they are PCI-E. If it's AGP then the pro is cheaper (depending on the company).

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=725&model2=712&chart=277

The phrase 'people would prefer' implies that everyone wants one, which quite clearly is not the case as the OP did not get one and I would not buy one and there are many others that for whatever reason would not get one, which is why I found the statement rather amusing.