Your question

Dell has me confused when I look at the CPU charts - Quad seems cheap

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad
  • Dell
Last response: in CPUs
August 15, 2007 7:42:44 PM

Hi all. I am looking at buying a new computer. I was checking out what I can get at Dell and the cpu choices sort of confuse me. When I look on the CPU charts, the quad is by far the fastest, but it's $150 cheaper at Dell. These are my 3 cpu choices. I will be using the computer for gaming.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 (4MB L2 Cache,2.4GHz,1066 FSB) - Base price

Intel® Core™ 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) - Add $50

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6700 (4MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB) - Add $200

Looking at the charts the Quad looks to be the fastest. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want the Quad?

Thanks.
Andrew

More about : dell confused cpu charts quad cheap

August 15, 2007 7:57:40 PM

No... You will be happy with the quad. What you shouldnt do is buy your computer from dell. You will be paying way to much their.
August 15, 2007 7:59:55 PM

the E6600 and Q6600 will pretty much perform the same in gaming. The E6700 will be a little better but not much. Overall, the Q6600 is the best to go with out of those choices. The Q6600 is better for apps and ****. 4 cores is better. Go with the quad
August 15, 2007 8:02:28 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. I build my last 3 systems with not too many hiccups. This past fall, I tried to build my wife a new computer. I did all of my research here and ordered my parts from Newegg. When I put it all together, it didn't boot.

No one really could help me. The board people said it was the video card and vice versa. I had a short period of time before the chip was nonrefundable. I ended up having to send it all back to Newegg and lose the restocking fee.

If I could order my parts locally I would do it. But I don't want to be in the boat again of not knowing which part is broken and not having an easy way to exchange parts.

It was a humbling experience as I had been building my machines for about 10 years.
August 15, 2007 8:15:30 PM

You could always use www.Mwave.com build your system and have them assemble and test it to ensure it works. For 80 dollars it isn't a bad deal if you know that your components are compatible.

Better idea if you are building high end, as Dell and others charge too much on high end builds, and tend to use cheap parts.
August 15, 2007 8:20:10 PM

A Quad is a waste of money...and so is a Dell or HP.
Things are just starting to use 2 cores.
Order your parts and put it together withen an hour and gain the benefit of a machine that you can update for very little in 3 years.
August 15, 2007 8:24:30 PM

Some applications make good use of 4 cores. I wouldn't bother buying a QX chip though (I did, but it was only 50 more then the top end dual core at the time and the other quads weren't available). The regular quads would suffice.
August 15, 2007 8:54:54 PM

If you want something that will last you 3-4 years, the Quad Core gives you more multitasking ability, comparable gameplay experience, and better multimedia copying, etc.

The Q6600 has been around for a few quarters now and Intel is "softening up" as they have released new chips in that space. The E6700 is an almost brand-new dual-core release that burns a bit less power and usually heats up your case more slowly (4 cores churning out heat versus 2--only a factor if you've got mediocre ventilation and/or plan on running at load or with a heavy OverClock).

I'm looking at the same space right now and am leaning in the direction of the Q6600, but am turning away from Dell after 10 years. Their service has gone downhill, the quality of components they use has eroded, and their prices have crept up.
August 15, 2007 9:37:10 PM

New games are just starting to be multi task capable, within 6 or so months I expect all game makers will start to build it into their games. Also, you have to consider that even when games dont use multi threading, quads still DO help. How? The OS takes all background programs and shoves it on to another core, allowing your game to run nice and smooth without interuption.
a c 159 à CPUs
August 15, 2007 9:52:14 PM

Buy a Dell and keep me working. I'm a contract laborer in Austin. Overall, Dell systems are cheaper if you need windows software.
August 15, 2007 10:51:20 PM

I must agree with o1die on this one.

I am not a gamer so im not too sure about he $3000 xps or whatever they are called systems but if you want to build a solid computer compared to a Dell standard/solid computer it is around the same price but you get the software and its not OEM software so if you change a mobo or a CPU down the road you can get a new license from microsux.
August 16, 2007 9:36:22 AM

Actually a dell system that was comparable to mine was 50% more expensive software included. There isn't a financial benefit to buying a premade system like a dell once you start moving above the 1,000-1,500 dollar range, and the disparity becomes greater, the higher end you go.
August 16, 2007 10:09:54 AM

For lots of video streaming and multi-threaded apps,I recommend the quad core any day.But if all you do is game and surf the net,then a C2D will work just as well.But for the price that it's offered at,It makes more sense to get the quad core.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32 SLI DELUXE MB
ATHLON64 X2-5600+
EVGA 7950GT KO
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
2X1GIG DDR2 800 MEMORY
WD SATA2 80/250GIG HD
RAIDMAX SMILIDON GAMING CASE
XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION
ACER 22IN. WS LCD
August 16, 2007 11:46:50 AM

When I bought my PC off new egg in may, it cost me $2700. When I priced it on dells web site, it was in the $5000-$6000 range? They bloat their price, and they dont give you exactly what you want. Also, do you realy trust a Dell motherboard?
August 16, 2007 1:15:27 PM

Thanks a lot for all the good advice and info. I will definitely go with the quad now, especially if I buy from Dell. I don't overclock so hopefully heat won't be an issue.

Yesterday I priced the quad chip with a motherboard and 2 gigs of ram and it was over $500. The Dell price without a monitor is around $1100. I haven't talked to Dell yet so not sure if they can lower that price at all. So anyway I am guessing the price will be roughly the same whichever way I go. So my tradeoff is quality vs the knowledge that it won't come with broken parts.

I will look into Mwave to see how much it will cost for them to build one for me with the parts I want. If it's close in price I will probably go with them.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice.

edit: spelling
August 16, 2007 4:33:05 PM

Ok, don't listen to those about OEM software. I just changed out MB/CPU/RAM with OEM Vista 64bit, and yes I had to call in, but compare that to the over 200 bucks I saved by buying the OEM version over the Retail or upgrade, and calling in wasn't an issue.

All you have to tell them is yes it is running only on 1 pc and that the reason you have to call in is because your PSU took out your MB/CPU and you had to replace them.

Guess what.. Those indians don't care, they'll just say here is your activation code, have a nice day and then they hang up.

OEM isn't bad, and it is a whole lot cheaper..
August 16, 2007 5:08:25 PM

This is very true but you do get the schmucks that do not want to give you a new code.

I personally would build rather then deal with a store bought system or Dell system. I hate having to clean all the crap out of them and the parts are garbage and very cheap.
August 16, 2007 8:01:08 PM

spaztic7 said:
If you are shooping around, check out www.cyberpowerinc.com. They are the cheapest.

Wow. I just checked cyberpower and was very surprised. They let me select name brand components so I know what I am getting. Not only that, I could get the quad 6600 with a nvidia 8800 GTS card for less than Dell's price for a 8300 GS. And it comes with a 3 year warrenty.

So of course, this all sounds way too good to be true. I tried to get some reviews and it looks like some people are really happy with them and some aren't. But you will get that with just about any company.

Are they good with honoring their warrenty? Do they really give you what they claim parts wise?

So far this site seems like my best bet for buying a prebuild system.
August 17, 2007 1:53:03 AM

Yes they do... Frommy understanding they are an affiliate of newegg. That is how they get their prices so low. I am not sure about their warrenty, just make sure you read the fine print.
August 17, 2007 9:11:30 AM

Newegg has great customer support so if they are a affiliate of them then it is well worth buying from them.
!