Sign in with
Your question

Long Story, Drivers, Vista x64, help!!

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2007 12:56:00 AM

Ok, so I'll start with the immediate issue, which is that I can't find a 64-bit version of the driver for my Samsung HD403LJ HDD, and I would love to get some idea where to look, since the official site (as far as I can tell) only has the 32-bit version.

But I may as well go into more detail, since I've been having boot troubles for weeks. Since my first boot on this PC, which I built and installed Vista on just a month or two ago, it has always taken about 6 minutes to start up. I've verified that it's not my copy of Vista (I tried a friend's, just to see if it would install and boot) and as far as I can tell all my hardware is working right, because I have no performance issues when it finally starts. I put in an old video card of mine and the computer worked fine for playing a few games, with good framerates, etc.

There's nothing weird with the boot either except for how long it takes, it gives me the screen with the option to enter bios or quick-select a boot device, then it goes to the vista loading screen, and hangs for 6 minutes.

I ran an HDD health checker program a friend linked to me, and it shows my HD as being in perfect condition, and I've traded around my ram a bit and I'm not having any issues there. So what it comes down to (correct me if I have missed something) that it's either my motherboard (I don't know if a motherboard can screw up my boot time, I don't know much about hardware tbh, but a friend of mine says that's the problem, though I think it's just because he doesn't like my mobo), or it's my HD, which is why I'm trying to find these drivers.

So, would installing the HD drivers fix this? I never did before because my HD didn't come with any drivers, but when I eliminated a bunch of other stuff I went and downloaded the drivers off the site, discovered they were 32 bit, and now here I am.

If anyone can shed some light on my troubles, that would be awesome. If not, a place to download a 64 bit version of the driver I need would be great, or even someone telling me whether or not I'm crazy and if that is indeed the issue. Basically, any information would be great.

System specs:

e6750
ECS G33t-m2 mobo
4 gigs ddr2-800 RAM
onboard video atm (but it still took forever using my video card, so I don't know that it matters)
400gig Samsung HD403LJ Sata drive

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!
November 23, 2007 3:00:40 AM

Check your device manager in the control panel. Is there a device with a yellow exclamation mark next to it? Perhaps the SM Bus driver?
November 23, 2007 3:41:37 AM

Defrag your hard drive. Maybe both video drivers are fighting? Your motherboard is a piece of crap.
Related resources
November 23, 2007 4:40:01 AM

Defrag is not an issue, this happened the very first time I booted the PC two months ago. In fact, I thought it wouldn't boot at all for a while until I finally sat there for a while just to see if it would eventually. This is also in response to the idea that the drivers are fighting (not only has this been happening since before I tried that, but in between ran a driver cleaner). And yes, my motherboard does suck, but I was working on a budget, so unless you have a legitimate claim as to why that's the problem, it's really not helpful. If you do have such a claim, let's hear it, 'cause I want this PC working when my 8800gt comes in a few days.

By the SM Bus Driver you're referring to the "Intel(r) ICH9 Family SMBus Controller - 2930?" No, no yellow exclamation next to it, or anything else listed here that I can find, and I went through everything.
November 23, 2007 4:43:56 AM

Omni31 said:
Defrag is not an issue, this happened the very first time I booted the PC two months ago. In fact, I thought it wouldn't boot at all for a while until I finally sat there for a while just to see if it would eventually. This is also in response to the idea that the drivers are fighting (not only has this been happening since before I tried that, but in between ran a driver cleaner). And yes, my motherboard does suck, but I was working on a budget, so unless you have a legitimate claim as to why that's the problem, it's really not helpful. If you do have such a claim, let's hear it, 'cause I want this PC working when my 8800gt comes in a few days.

By the SM Bus Driver you're referring to the "Intel(r) ICH9 Family SMBus Controller - 2930?" No, no yellow exclamation next to it, or anything else listed here that I can find, and I went through everything.

It may be your Piece of crap mobo isnt liking Vista 64. Can you try Vista or XP 32?
November 24, 2007 9:32:27 PM

I'm considering it, but I would like to keep Vista 64 if I can, for the Dx10 and for my 4 gigs of RAM, respectively.

I'm just not sure having three gigs (that's about how much you can support with 32 bit, right?) is enough for a vista system meant for gaming, since almost everyone I talk to says vista is a RAM hog. But if 32 bit fixes the problem, then I'd be tempted.

PS Just checked wikipedia, it says I can have 4 gigs of RAM on a 32 bit system. Is that right? 'Cause that would mean I could try a 32 bit version and see if it works without worrying about losing performance.
November 24, 2007 9:47:45 PM

I have Vista 32 and 2 gigs and it game just fine. My Call of Duty 4 will be here in 1 hour. You can use 4 gigs with 32vista but it can only recognize like 3.5 of it. You aint gonna miss the 512 mb. Vista32 is pretty stable these days and 64 still has issues. I have both and prefer 32.
December 5, 2007 3:19:46 AM

it your motherboard, i have the same setup ecs g33t and e6750 with 32bit vista ultimate. ecs mobo does not like vista (maybe has some kind of conflict), i put in xp and it loads in 20 sec. getting evga 680i a1 soon. There is a new bios for the board you could try that...

more people with your problem
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245766-30-long-boot-g...
December 5, 2007 2:13:13 PM

Does your bios have AHCI settings in it? If so is it disabled? If so I would recomend enabling it and reloaded. Carefull as I believe you HAVE to reload windows or it will just crash at startup if you dont.
!