Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
PC Specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz
CPU-Fan: Rosewill RCX-Z3 92mm Ball CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Dynex 400 Watt
Memory: Corsair 1x1GB DDR2 & 2x512MB DDR2

I just bought this new motherboard, power supply, processor, and the 1GB of memory...I already had the 2 512 sticks from before. I installed it in my comp case and hooked everything up but when I hit the power button it does something really funky and im kind of scared about it haha....It turns on for a couple of seconds and then truns off, but then a couple more seconds later it turns itself back on again and then shuts down. It repeats this over and over until I turn off my power supply. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I have quite a bit of knowledge working with computers and I tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in again. I trying clearing the CMOS and I also tried taking out the processor and putting it back in. So I figured someone would know some other routes I could try. Thanks in advance for the help.

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Ya I had a feeling that might be the problem but I didn't really know how to get around it...How do I jumpstart my computer?? Thanks

tlmck

Distinguished
A quick way to check to see if your power button is broken is to unplug the lead from the motherboard, and plug the reset button to the power button pins instead. If the reset button works, then you indeed have a power switch problem.

Depending on what case you have, finding a replacement power button could be tricky. Most places that sell components usually sell generic replacement switches. They may or may not fit your case. You can always check with the case manufacturer. If it is a major brand, many times they will ship a free replacement.

cowboys21

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
hey, thanks guys for the replies, I am going to try these suggestions within 24 hours and i will post a reply with the results. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks again for the help.

TRENDING THREADS