Sign in with
Your question

Radeon X1550 card sounds very loud revving very high

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 26, 2007 3:53:03 PM

Hi

I am working on a friends system which I built for them 3 years ago.

Found a problem with their GForce FX 5200 the fan was completely broke off of the card itself.
So whenever I tried installing the latest drivers it would go into an infinite loop and I would have to revert back to
the last working version of the OS /XP

We installed a new card, A Radeon X 1550 256mb card, right away the computer was working quicker in the boot process. However, It is making a high revving noise. I checked the system resources with CPU Monitor and it's at a range of between 17% and 21% RAM usage -- That is with no other programs running

I installed the drivers that came on the disk with the card but I didn't have a chance to download any new driver updates. So this could be the reason. (They live 2 hours away)

The motherboard is a P4 S533-X
RAM installed is 512MB

I'm worried that their is something wrong with the Motherboard and that because it's revving so high the fan on this new card is going to break as well.

Is there a way to slow the card down? Way to see how hard the card is working.

Could it be that the latest drivers aren't installed?

Please help.

Thx

August 28, 2007 5:23:00 PM

All the x1550 cards I've seen have 2-pin fans, which means there's no way of using software to control the fan speed - it's always going to run on maximum.

Above is a diagram for attaching a Fanmate controller to the fan.

Basically, get one of those case/motherboard connectors, the 2 wire ones, chop it in half. Plug out the fan connector where it plugs into the graphics card.

Get one end, connect the bare wires into the connector of the graphics card fan, plug the connector into the Fanmate ( the connector on the fan is too small to plug in directly). Where the other end of the Fanmate would normally connect to the motherboard, etc., plug in the bare wires from the other half of the connector you chopped. plug the connector end into where the fan plugs into the graphics card. Then you can adjust the speed to get the right balance between heat and noise.

P.S. IMPORTANT: Make sure you check the black and red wires first, the diagram is just a rough example.

You might need Blu-Tac or something like that to keep the wires plugged in - due to the heat, tape won't work very well (loses its stickyness after a while).

You could always chop the wires on the graphics card fan, but that would void the warranty.

I know this all sounds very crude, but I used it myself on a x1650 pro for the same reason and I know it works.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2009 4:39:33 PM

mcneillm said:
http://homepage.eircom.net/~mcneillm/image2.jpg

All the x1550 cards I've seen have 2-pin fans, which means there's no way of using software to control the fan speed - it's always going to run on maximum.

Above is a diagram for attaching a Fanmate controller to the fan.

Basically, get one of those case/motherboard connectors, the 2 wire ones, chop it in half. Plug out the fan connector where it plugs into the graphics card.

Get one end, connect the bare wires into the connector of the graphics card fan, plug the connector into the Fanmate ( the connector on the fan is too small to plug in directly). Where the other end of the Fanmate would normally connect to the motherboard, etc., plug in the bare wires from the other half of the connector you chopped. plug the connector end into where the fan plugs into the graphics card. Then you can adjust the speed to get the right balance between heat and noise.

P.S. IMPORTANT: Make sure you check the black and red wires first, the diagram is just a rough example.

You might need Blu-Tac or something like that to keep the wires plugged in - due to the heat, tape won't work very well (loses its stickyness after a while).

You could always chop the wires on the graphics card fan, but that would void the warranty.

I know this all sounds very crude, but I used it myself on a x1650 pro for the same reason and I know it works.

!