Samsung 55" DLP - HLP5674W ??

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
March 28, 2005 7:20:34 PM

Anyone have one of these DLP sets? A buddy of mine just got one, but the
picture quality leaves something to be desired.... Compared to my
3-year-old Mits. rear projection, the Samsung doesn't have nearly as sharp
of a picture. I've noticed plenty of artifacts on DVD's and "fuzziness" on
HD inputs..

Both of our sets are connected to Progressive scan DVD players/HD STB's via
high-quality Component cables..

Anyone have an opinion on the Samsung sets?

Troy

More about : samsung dlp hlp5674w

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
March 29, 2005 11:02:28 AM

"Troy Bruder" <troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have one of these DLP sets? A buddy of mine just got one, but the
> picture quality leaves something to be desired.... Compared to my
> 3-year-old Mits. rear projection, the Samsung doesn't have nearly as sharp
> of a picture. I've noticed plenty of artifacts on DVD's and "fuzziness"
on
> HD inputs..
>
> Both of our sets are connected to Progressive scan DVD players/HD STB's
via
> high-quality Component cables..
>
> Anyone have an opinion on the Samsung sets?
>
> Troy

Then what you are saying is that the picture IS SHARPER on the Samsung with
more video bandwidth and all the errors in the picture that couldn't be seen
on the MIT are now there for you to see on the Samsung.

If there is fuzziness on the HD input it's because there isn't enough
information for the display. The only weak point in some of the DLP sets is
that they assume that the input is from a Samsung STB which has the 480I to
480P converter in it. So low res pictures from NTSC sources are soft. The
Mit probably has the <line doubler> or 480I to 480P upconverter in the TV.
MY Akai (Samsung) projection TV has the line doubler in the TV and I notice
a difference from those sets who don't have one.
March 29, 2005 4:52:22 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:20:34 -0500, "Troy Bruder"
<troy_bruder@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Anyone have one of these DLP sets?

The 5674 is one of the best looking DLPs out there. Either it is set
incorrectly or receiving a bad signal, or you just don't like DLP.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
March 30, 2005 10:19:05 PM

Thank you both for your feedback.