SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition & Localhost ASP Executed..

Hi all,
My Dell 4100 PC was upgraded from Microsoft Windows ME to Microsoft Windows
XP Pro 2 years ago. I just installed Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer
Edition in my "upgraded" Windows XP Pro Operating System recently.
I executed http://localhost/NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp and I got the following:
The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be
displayed.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the<script> </script> localhost home page, and then look for links to
the information you want.
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server
connection.
/NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp, line 21

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; AT&T CSM7.0; AT&T CSM8.0;
SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)

Page:
GET /NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp

Time:
Sunday, July 03, 2005, 1:34:56 PM

More information:
Microsoft Support
It is clearly listed in the Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
Server (0x80004005)
Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server
connection.
/NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp, line 21
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
This looks like an asp error message involving integrated authentication
between the web server (running the asp page) and the sql server. Some one
said that there are a number of reasons why this might fail including the
Directory Security settings within IIS, whether the web server is running on
a different machine from the sql server, the connection string within the asp
page, etc. What is the db connection string being used in the page? Can you
please give me your answer and advices on solving this problem? Your help
and technical advices are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
SHC
3 answers Last reply
More about server 2000 developer edition localhost executed

    You did install IIS first didn't you? If not, go into Add/Remove Programs,
    select Add/Remove Windows components and select the checkbox next to IIS.
    Note, if you've upgraded and/or installed SP1/SP2 without creating a
    slipstreamed version of the XP CD (with SP1/SP2 included), and your original
    install was from XP RTM, then it won't install. Afterwards, once you get
    IIS up and running, install at least SQL2k SP3a or SP4 to prevent being
    infected with the "Code Red" worm/virus designed to infect SQL2k servers.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "SHC" <SHC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > My Dell 4100 PC was upgraded from Microsoft Windows ME to Microsoft
    > Windows
    > XP Pro 2 years ago. I just installed Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer
    > Edition in my "upgraded" Windows XP Pro Operating System recently.
    > I executed http://localhost/NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp and I got the following:
    > The page cannot be displayed
    > There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be
    > displayed.

    > Please try the following:
    >
    > Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    >
    > Open the<script> </script> localhost home page, and then look for links to
    > the information you want.
    > HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
    > Internet Information Services

    > Technical Information (for support personnel)
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
    > Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
    > Server
    > connection.
    > /NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp, line 21
    >

    > Browser Type:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; AT&T CSM7.0; AT&T
    > CSM8.0;
    > SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 1.0.3705)
    >
    > Page:
    > GET /NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp
    >
    > Time:
    > Sunday, July 03, 2005, 1:34:56 PM
    >

    > More information:
    > Microsoft Support
    > It is clearly listed in the Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL
    > Server (0x80004005)
    > Login failed for user 'sa'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
    > Server
    > connection.
    > /NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp, line 21
    > ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
    > This looks like an asp error message involving integrated authentication
    > between the web server (running the asp page) and the sql server. Some one
    > said that there are a number of reasons why this might fail including the
    > Directory Security settings within IIS, whether the web server is running
    > on
    > a different machine from the sql server, the connection string within the
    > asp
    > page, etc. What is the db connection string being used in the page? Can
    > you
    > please give me your answer and advices on solving this problem? Your help
    > and technical advices are greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > SHC

    Hi Star Fleet Admiral Q, Thanks for your response.

    I do not understand what you said in your response. (1) I did not install
    IIS - I thought IIS was in the Microsoft Explorer 6 in my PC already. Why
    should I install IIS first? (2) The bottom line: Can my "upgraded" Windows XP
    Pro take the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition or not? Please
    respond and clarify.

    Thanks,
    SHC

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

> [...]
    > > Server
    > > connection.
    > > /NorthDB/ch13_ex01.asp, line 21
    > > ///////////////////////////////////////////////////
    > > This looks like an asp error message involving integrated authentication
    > > between the web server (running the asp page) and the sql server. Some one
    > > said that there are a number of reasons why this might fail including the
    > > Directory Security settings within IIS, whether the web server is running
    > > on
    > > a different machine from the sql server, the connection string within the
    > > asp
    > > page, etc. What is the db connection string being used in the page? Can
    > > you
    > > please give me your answer and advices on solving this problem? Your help
    > > and technical advices are greatly appreciated.

    If you did not install IIS (no it is not part of IE), then you need to
    install it, just as I described or for detailed installation, do a "Google
    search or check in one of the IIS newsgroups. This allows your PC to
    present a web page that is hosted on the local computer (hence localhost) to
    itself or other computers. It sounds as if you have some type of
    tutorial/reference that requires installing a local website to the local
    host for presentation via IE.
    Yes, SQL2k developer works just fine on a Win2k Pro/WinXP Pro machine.
    But as I stated, be sure to update SQL2k with SP3a or SP4 (SP4 is required
    if you have WinXP SP2 installed where SP3a or above protects you from Code
    Red).

    --

> [...]
    >> > authentication
    >> > between the web server (running the asp page) and the sql server. Some
    >> > one
    >> > said that there are a number of reasons why this might fail including
    >> > the
    >> > Directory Security settings within IIS, whether the web server is
    >> > running
    >> > on
    >> > a different machine from the sql server, the connection string within
    >> > the
    >> > asp
    >> > page, etc. What is the db connection string being used in the page?
    >> > Can
    >> > you
    >> > please give me your answer and advices on solving this problem? Your
    >> > help
    >> > and technical advices are greatly appreciated.

Microsoft SQL Server Windows XP