OEM OS.. changing components.

aj4749

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hi guys, to cut a long story short, im building my friend a pc with 2nd hand parts (except a new psu), im using my old mobo from a prebuilt pc, i'll be replacing the Q6600 that originally came with it with an E5200 (same socket) and it used to have 2gb of 800mhz ddr2 ram, i'll be replacing that with 4gb of 800mhz dd2 ram. I was wondering, if i use a OEM vista OS on my old hard drive from my prebuilt (its like installed on there and its some pc world, cant re-install and get it to normal) will it work if i change the CPU and ram round? My main concern is that it will think that the E5200 is a Q6600, think it has less ram than it really does, and cause buggery. Can i have your opinions on this please? Thanks in advance. AJ.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
I'm not sure what you're asking, whether you are concerned about the pc not working or the OS.
In any case bios should automaticaly detect the change in cpu and increase in ram.
Windows on the other hand, (because it's OEM) will detect the change and deem it a major change in hardware and ask you to reactivate. You will have to phone $MS for a new activation code.

TRENDING THREADS