Sign in with
Your question

first time builder..anything i should chage before ordering

Last response: in Systems
August 16, 2007 3:05:29 AM

hi i am a first time builder building a pc for my wife and i.
Primary uses for it will be animation,image editing, digital art/painting etc and gaming.
After reading reviews and checking prices i have narrowed it down to

Case

i am currently confused about choosing the case
i like the Antec Nine hundered ($90.00 after rebates at newegg)
and Lian-Li PC7B plus II computer case($99.00 at newegg)

i heard that the antec case has come problems with bigger gfx cards and problems with the power supply wires not reaching certain places??..

Additional Cooling
?? i dont know if i even need any( i do plan to overclock and summers in alabama are very hot so i dont know if i will need any extra cooling and what kind. what i do know is that i want to stick to air cooling for now)

Processor

intel core 2 duo E6750 $211.90 at newegg

Motherboard

i have narrowed the motherboards down to
(in order of prefrence)
MSI P35 Platinum Revision 1.1
GA-P35C-DS3R
Gigabyte P35T-DQ6
Asus P5k Premium
Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6

Gfx card

nvidia 8800gts

i think a 750 w psu would be sufficient for me any recommendations
also what kind of ram should i get between 50-150$

thanks
August 16, 2007 3:29:19 AM

i have decided on this ram finally
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail (61.49 after rebate at newegg)
August 16, 2007 5:38:27 AM

Assuming you're not super budget-constricted...

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- PC P&C is known for using very high quality components. Also, 49A on the 12v rail should provide plenty of stable power for an overclocked CPU and GPU.

For cooling, both the cases you listed have good airflow. But for overclocking, you do need a solid aftermarket solution, depending on how far you want to push the envelope. Or you may just want to maintain the coolest possible system temps....

Tuniq Tower:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1683...

- Some folks would instead recommend the Ultra 120 Extreme for CPU cooling. While it IS the highest rated CPU air cooling solution, I've read quite a bit about problems with a rough/concave/convex CPU contact. Also, it doesn't come with a fan....So for the same price, the Tuniq Tower provides nearly the same performance without the machining issues, and includes a fan to boot.

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

- An old reliable cooler many swear by. Half the price of the Tuniq Tower for, nonetheless, a substantial improvement over the stock Intel HSF.

Just as a general recommendation, I'd personally go with a cheaper Core 2 Duo for now, especially considering that you're going to overclock. Not only will you get more or less the same performance for $85 less with something like an E4400 (counting the overclock), but when the Penryns come out sometime around the holidays, you won't feel too bad about forking over cash for a new CPU should you so desire...

Good luck with the build!
!