Sign in with
Your question

hard drive

Last response: in Storage
November 24, 2007 5:38:48 PM

I need to purchase an internal hard drive replacement for a hp pavilion ze2000 (model shows as ze2308wm) and I am having difficulties understanding the HP specifications vs. what I see available for purchase.
The HP specifications state that a 80gb is good for 4200 rpm, 60..4200 but that the 40gb is 5400 rpm? does that make sense to you that are savy? Here is the link to that information: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual... after taking out the hard drive I also discover that it is a Fujitsu but has a sticker on it saying replace with hp spare 394266-001 but.......that would be a 40GB 4200 rpm almost every place I try to cross reference. Also is ATA-5 and ATA-6 (newer spec) ok to interchange? So...in a nutshell, what would be compatible with this computer. I tried a 80GB IDE 5400 rpm and cannot get it to boot from the start up disk and install xp.....I get bios beeps that are high/low 2-5 depending on where I am, start-up vs. bios set-up screen. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated........!! I guess that I figure something about the new hard drive isn't compatible ??? Thanks.

More about : hard drive

November 25, 2007 12:20:02 AM

First, make sure the drive is securely connected to both the data and power cable. Then if you can get into the BIOS, check for various hdd settings. Sometimes new hdd need to be formated, get the hdd diagnostic/repair software from the mfg website and run it off a Floppy
!