What great cpu cooler / fans to FIT in this kind of case?

zeek987

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
Hey Everyone,
I will have a Q6600 and a gigabyte P35C-DS3R or P35-DS3P mobo.
I may overclock not too long from now.

I have read great things about the low noise level and good air flow of the COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail.
For 50$ or less, it seems to be a steal.

I just want to make sure that the above combination would work, along with a high quality cpu cooler.
Would the cooler fit, etc...?

I have heard that I should either get the
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail = $55
or the
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail = $65

And people always seem to get the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM = $6

I have never dealt with CPU Coolers, but I assume the instructions / this website tells you what to do to install this stuff on the CPU.

Which cooler would be better for my configuration, making sure it will fit/work? What else will I need to cool this system, extra fans, replacement fans for the ones that come with the case (if they are not good or quiet)???

I would like a cool, quiet system.

Thanks!

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Either are great, both should fit. I'm looking at that case with a tuniq tower for a future build. Tell me how it goes and your temps if you can. :)

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
The Tuniq tower is good, and it comes with a fan. The Thermalright ultra 120 extreme is better (I have one), but comes with no fan. You do not need a fan with it but you have to be seriously handicap if you wont use one. http://www.anandtech.com/casecooling/showdoc.aspx?i=2943 this is a review for the thermalright. This also shows temp comparisons, the tuniq vs the thermalright is included in the charts. Thermalright wins(sorry for the spoiler).

With either one, you will be happy.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007

Yes the instructions that come with the Tuniq are sufficient and the Tower is easy to install. Just a couple of things to consider:

Place the TO-RK02: P4 Back Plate aside as I would imagine it would be difficult to remove if you installed it instead of the correct one, the T0-RK01: 775 Back Plate. I read where someone had to pull the 775 Back Plate off to return the MoBo and it was a pain to remove.

When placing the Tuniq on the P35C for the first time, make sure the heatsink is an even distance from the transistors on the top and left side. If one side is tight against one row of transistors, just turn it 90 degrees.

The quad core application instructions for the Artic Silver 5 can be found here:
http://tinyurl.com/2h7j27 (arcticsilver.com- How to apply Arctic Silver 5
Intel Quad Core CPU W/Heatspreader)

You shouldn’t have any problems.

Nightowl0707

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
The Tuniq Tower with the blue LED fan has 7 blades whereas the other one comes with a 9 blade fan which Tuniq claims to be more efficient; it’s also less expensive. Newegg doesn’t distinguish the difference on their description and Tuniq touts the efficiency on their product page for the one that has it but conveniently omits any mention of the blades at all on the product page for the other one. Additionally, all the web reviews have been done on the Tuniq Tower 120 with the 9 blade fan and I haven’t seen a comparison between the two so you’re best bet, efficiency-wise, would be to opt for the less expensive version (without the blue LED).

>>>EDIT
These are the two Tuniqs’ I’m referring to:
http://tinyurl.com/2dujca (Newegg link)
<<<END EDIT

I have the Tuniq Tower installed on the P35C in the Tsunami Dream. http://tinyurl.com/3ct6yn (Newegg link)

It measures 17.5cm from the inside of the case to the top of the Tower (this measurement allows for the screws that fasten the top fan plate) and measures 16.5cm from the board to the top of the Tuniq (the same allowance). The door fan touches the top of the Tuniq Tower when shut and partially impedes airflow, albeit very minimally, so it fits but just barely.

My case already has three fans but I’ll be installing a couple more at a later date. I’ve noticed that the CPU temp stays about 4 degrees warmer with the door on (haven’t plugged in the door fan yet because I want to splice connectors next to the door opening to make removal more convenient). The warmer temps don’t surprise me but it does highlight the fact that I should expect to achieve cooler temperatures with the addition of a couple strategically placed fans.

As far as the Arctic Silver 5 is concerned, the one you’re looking at (if at Newegg) doesn’t come with an applicator to my knowledge. Someone else may want to verify this. The larger tube does but it’s three times the price. Look here:
http://tinyurl.com/2td3v8 (Newegg link)

I’m not familiar with the case you plan on using so I’ll just leave a few comments to consider. Your case measures 8 inches while the Tsunami measures 8.3 inches but my case also has a door fan that protrudes inside the case 1-1/16 of an inch so by all appearances, that combination should work fine. Dig deeper into the specs and check out the product page to see if you can find inside measurements.

I looked at the case again and here are some additional observations/comments:

I just noticed the case you’re considering has a side air duct. That will no doubt have to be removed to allow room for the Tuniq as it looks to sit just to the right of dead center to where the Tuniq Tower will be located.

You will also need a long Phillips screwdriver or ¼” socket with extension when installing the motherboard in order to reach the top left motherboard screw after the Tuniq is mounted since that case doesn’t come with a removable motherboard tray. You won’t have much room to work in that area once the Tower and the PSU are in the way.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I like the fact that there are so many drive bays that you can actually easily fit a big ol 120mm fan into 3 spare 5.25" drive bays. And it blows right on the cpu and creates a nice cross breeze with the rear fan.