p965 3.3 / vista hangs with ide hard drive

nailzjd

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Help please! :)

Installed vista on my new machine with just the sata hd hooked up. after install, i put in an older ide hdd that was on an xp build in to my new machine. the ide hdd that i use has all of my music and other files on it that i want to keep.

when i boot up, i get the screen saying vista is starting, but then it just hangs. the ide hdd is detected in the bios, and the boot priority is set to the sata drive that has vista installed. so everything seems fine in bios. i also have an ide dvd burner installed and it works fine, but the ide hdd will not. i can change the jumper settings on both drives, every which way and it doesnt seem to fix the problem.

any suggestions?

If your IDE hard drive has an OS installed, it has a boot sector. What is likely occuring is when your machine starts that boot sector is being newly detected, the VISTA install is no longer the only bootable drive. I would copy the files you need off the IDE drive onto disk or an external usb hd and install them from there onto the VISTA drive. The IDE drive may work if it was reformatted and installed as a 'slave' without the OS on the drive. HTH.

nailzjd

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
there was never an os installed on the ide drive. i had 2 hd's in my xp machine, and the hd that i am trying to move over was just there for file storage. my os hd on my old machine died so i can't use it

What about the jumper on the IDE HD? If the DVD is master the HD jumper would have to be slave. Also, you can buy an external enclosue for $25 and access the IDE HD through usb. HTH.

I use these for my older IDE drives when connecting to my Vista installs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716017

Q6600
ASUS P5B-Deluxe
G. Skill PC6400 4GB 4-4-4-12
EVGA 7900GTO 512 MB
WD 150 SATA RAPTOR Vista HP 32
WD 74 SATA RAPTOR Windows XP PRO
WD 250 SATA storage
ASUS DVD-ROM
ASUS DVD-RW Lightscribe
Thermaltake 700 watt quad 12v rail PSU
Thermaltake Mozart tower
Thermaltake media Lab Led Remote control
Zalman 9500 Led HSF
Audigy 2 Soundblaster
Boston Acoustics
Pinnacle Studio 9 PCI
Slingbox Pro Digital Sattelite
BenQ 22” LCD

Vista Experience rating is 5.9.

nailzjd

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

same result with those settings. i tried changing all the jumper settings before i posted. im almost near just getting the enclosure and calling it a day, just trying to save some coin if i can though

nailzjd

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007

i have a gigabyte p965 rev. 3.3. i went in to the bios and the os hd is the first boot device. you can also set an hd boot priority order if you have more than 1 hd installed. i checked that, and the os hd is the first drive listed in the order also. i cant remove the ide hd from the boot order however.

i called a friend of mine, he suggested just using the external also. he has an extra one that he's going to let me borrow, but he's not sure if the hd will fit. if not ill pick up the one you sent

thanks for all your help man. if you have any other ideas, let me know

One. If you can put the IDE drive back into the old computer, try and remove any 'boot sector' files you can find installed on the drive. You may have to access 'hidden files' on that drive specifically.

TRENDING THREADS