Missing Inbox Mail in Outlook Express

July 4, 2005 2:42:06 PM

Hi,

I am hoping you can help me. We are running Windows XP Pro on a new Dell
machine and using Outlook Express for the email client.

We were asked if we wanted to compact the inbox, normally we say no but
today decided to say yes, the inbox is 813MB in size.

Anyway, when we went back into Outlook Express later in the day, the latest
email entry is for the 21st April 2004 (Yes 2004). The past 15 months of
emails have gone.

So we decided to check all the files that had been updated today, including
hidden files but nothing jumped out at us as a large archive file. The inbox
is still 800 + MB.

Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what happened.

Are any of the mails archived off somewhere or does it just try and compress
the actual inbox?

Many thanks,

Neil
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:53:20 PM

Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgo...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:10B630AA-A44C-42F6-9896-EA32DEB03388@microsoft.com,
Neil <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping you can help me. We are running Windows XP Pro on a new Dell
> machine and using Outlook Express for the email client.
>
> We were asked if we wanted to compact the inbox, normally we say no but
> today decided to say yes, the inbox is 813MB in size.
>
> Anyway, when we went back into Outlook Express later in the day, the
> latest email entry is for the 21st April 2004 (Yes 2004). The past 15
> months of emails have gone.
>
> So we decided to check all the files that had been updated today,
> including hidden files but nothing jumped out at us as a large archive
> file. The inbox is still 800 + MB.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what happened.
>
> Are any of the mails archived off somewhere or does it just try and
> compress the actual inbox?
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neil
July 4, 2005 4:53:21 PM

Thanks Wesley and Gordon for the comments.

I have located the DBExtract and paid the €5.00, small price to get the
mails back if it works even partially it will be worth it.

We will make sure that the inbox is cleard of business critical emails as
sson as they have been read.

Thanks again guys.
July 4, 2005 5:17:24 PM

I'm sure that Steve Cochran thanks you. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:73201DDA-F9EE-427A-800A-38D5B656D23A@microsoft.com,
Neil <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wesley and Gordon for the comments.
>
> I have located the DBExtract and paid the €5.00, small price to get the
> mails back if it works even partially it will be worth it.
>
> We will make sure that the inbox is cleard of business critical emails as
> sson as they have been read.
>
> Thanks again guys.
July 4, 2005 10:58:15 PM

"Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am hoping you can help me. We are running Windows XP Pro on a new Dell
> machine and using Outlook Express for the email client.
>
> We were asked if we wanted to compact the inbox, normally we say no but
> today decided to say yes, the inbox is 813MB in size.

WHAT????? *813* MB????????????

I haven't accumulated that much in FIVE YEARS! Why on earth didn't you do
some archiving before?

Secondly, you should NEVER store email in the Inbox folder - that is the one
most likely to suffer corruption, which seems to have happened in this case.
You have two options: download and use DBExtract which may or may not "see"
the lost mail, or restore a backed-up copy of your inbox. Yo DO take
backups, don't you?

> Anyway, when we went back into Outlook Express later in the day, the
> latest
> email entry is for the 21st April 2004 (Yes 2004). The past 15 months of
> emails have gone.
>
> So we decided to check all the files that had been updated today,
> including
> hidden files but nothing jumped out at us as a large archive file. The
> inbox
> is still 800 + MB.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what happened.
>
> Are any of the mails archived off somewhere or does it just try and
> compress
> the actual inbox?
>
> Any help or advice would be appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neil
July 4, 2005 10:58:16 PM

Thanks for the comments Gordon.

We have a backup from the beginning of last week.

This is my brother in laws sign business, many of the files he gets are 10 +
MB hence the size of the inbox.

He has moved many of the files to other 'boxes' if you like but all the
general mail is kept in the inbx along with most of the recent stuff. He has
in excess of 30 business emails per day.

As I mentioned, we do have a backup but the emails recieved in the last few
days whcih have not been put into other boxes were lost in the inbox.

I will try DBExtract, can you tell me where to downloa dit from please.

Regards,

Neil

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Neil" <Neil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am hoping you can help me. We are running Windows XP Pro on a new Dell
> > machine and using Outlook Express for the email client.
> >
> > We were asked if we wanted to compact the inbox, normally we say no but
> > today decided to say yes, the inbox is 813MB in size.
>
> WHAT????? *813* MB????????????
>
> I haven't accumulated that much in FIVE YEARS! Why on earth didn't you do
> some archiving before?
>
> Secondly, you should NEVER store email in the Inbox folder - that is the one
> most likely to suffer corruption, which seems to have happened in this case.
> You have two options: download and use DBExtract which may or may not "see"
> the lost mail, or restore a backed-up copy of your inbox. Yo DO take
> backups, don't you?
>

> > Anyway, when we went back into Outlook Express later in the day, the
> > latest
> > email entry is for the 21st April 2004 (Yes 2004). The past 15 months of
> > emails have gone.
> >
> > So we decided to check all the files that had been updated today,
> > including
> > hidden files but nothing jumped out at us as a large archive file. The
> > inbox
> > is still 800 + MB.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what happened.
> >
> > Are any of the mails archived off somewhere or does it just try and
> > compress
> > the actual inbox?
> >
> > Any help or advice would be appreciated.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Neil

July 5, 2005 4:51:01 AM

Hi all,

We have run DBExtract and that has put in all inbox entries up to April
2004, nothing after that.

Is there any way that the inbox data can be held anywhere else after an
archive / compression of the file?

Thanks,

Neil

!