problem? 8800 GTS 320 not performing. seeking advice.

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Hi everybody.

I just put together the following system

Antec 900 Case
OCZ Gamestream 700watt PS
M2N32-SLI Deluxe w/ updated BIOS
Athlon 6000+ w/ Zalman 9700 & AS5
2GB Crucial Cas 4 (2x1gb)
EVGA GTS 8800GTS 320mb, Creative Labs X-Fi Gaming Card w/ Stock Drivers Installed
Creative X-fi Gaming Soundboard
320 GB WD SATA
Westinghouse 20" (connected Analog :()

Anyways, the system seems to run very, very fast. Everything loads up and performs as it should. It's also been pretty stable. Unfortunately, when I run Counterstrike which is not very demanding, I am only getting about 60fps. It should do well more than that(90-100 etc). I even ran a PC Mark 05 and the 11 tests and could only produce a 1601. That rank is apparently terrible. My CPU is running at about 39-40c Idle with the Zalman which I thought should have be cooler as well. (Not evet OC'd yet, even it's already been properly reseated with AS5)

It must be something simple. Is there some BIOS setting that I'm missing? The m2n32 is pretty complex and I haven't tweaked with it much aside the ram timing 4-4-4-12 and this and that (Ram is seated in slot A1 and B1 as opposed to A1 and A2).

Computer has been up and running about 10 hours.

I appreciate any help, thoughts, or ideas... this is really really REALLY driving me crazy!

Snail

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
hmm odd... Ihave a similar setup -200wts of power and -the video card. I have a 7600gt with m2n-sli deluxe and CS Source runs much better frames than that. Haven't tried PC mark for a while. Don't forget PC mark is different to 3d mark in that its tests all hardware as well. Not sure how the scoring works though. I also only have generic ram. Hmm....sounds like a possible faulty video card. Try running a more graphics intensive game and see if you have any problems. Pay attention and see if Vsync is turned on.

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I haven't checked the V-sync. I will check that out and get back. Perhaps that could be the problem? Should it be on? What does it control?

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I don't understand what you mean? Is there a way to adjust these settings? I know my monitor isn't the greatest but I had no idea it's refresh rate had any effect on the fps. I mean could a PC Mark score of 1601... from the refresh rate of the monitor??

vsync makes your fps match the screen's refresh. so that would stick you @ 60fps. if you want it off make sure its set to forced off and not use app setting. For me. its forced on.....just works better for me

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
vsync makes your graphics work less harder because it just throws out any frames that doesn't match your monitors refresh rate.

and amd optimizer really makes a difference. you could be running one core instead of 2.

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

OK I just got home and am going to attempt to make this computer run to speed. I couldn't find ANY option in the Nvidia control panel for the Vsync. It's version 1.4.6.18, the original driver that came with the card. I guess I'll download and install Forceware 163.44 beta first.. I'd like to take care of this problem tonight.

Also, where can I get AMD Optimizer?

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
The new Forceware drivers had the Vsync option and I set it as Force off. Also, Multi-Display / Mix GPU acceleration was set to multiple instead of single. Before changing these, I ran a 3D Mark 06 and got a score of 8XXX. I will attempt to run it again with these new settings set.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Run 3DMark06 or go to YouGamers.com and test if you can run a game like Dirt. Would give you a good score comparison, play with the site on other games too, I think that you're system will score nicely!!

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
amd optimizer is a background program that divides the workload of the processor into two.

and try running counterstrike again.

synthetic benchmarks have their own settings enabled and disabled.

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I ran 3D Mark 06 and could only score a 8800 with the new settings. Compared to 60 other comparable systems, my performance blows. According the overall picture, it's pretty good. Something is holding this thing back. I can't pinpoint it. (I did this with the Vsync off and also set to solo gpu)

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
yeah your about 300 shy of a well spec'ed 8800gts.

did you check your gpu temps?

it could be a heat problem...

i don't have an asus mobo so i can't help you there.

if all else fails clear cmos? its what i did when my comp acted retarded.

i realized my RAM timings were too tight for my OC so i set the RAM timings to default, but i let the RAM speed go up to 440 MHZ (880MHZ DDR)

tspope99

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
GPU Idling at 53c, processor 43c.

I set my ram timings to 4-4-4-12 because that's the way it was specified. Anything else I should take a look at? I believe my CPU is showing 1.4 volts. Does that sound normal?

don't forget 3d marks does not seem to take into account overclocked parts. so you may be right on and just loosing to some people who are overclocked.

3d marks will always have v-sync off anyway....

Also as far as i know the dual core optimizer just add's some code to stop non dual core friendly apps from running like crap(tells them to run on one core only). and it also tell software(or more to the point, windows thru a line in the boot.ini "/usepmtimer") not to use the cpu speed for timing as it varies with cool'n'quiet.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
If your comparing other peoples benchmarks for the 8800GTS then you might not have taken into acount the others that have a Core 2 Duo's overclocked at like 3.6GHz. This is were Intel rules, in it overclock ability.

teh_boxzor

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
systemlord is right. sadly AMD bottlenecks the GPU compared to C2D.

are you comparing your marks with people who have similar setups or just the same graphics card?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Could just be luck of the draw, no two cards are alike. Remmeber its just a benchmark, at the end of the day FPS is the only thing that matters. My old P4 PC I ran 3Dmark05 and then ran it again five months later and lost 1000 points, but my games had the same frame rates.