mp33

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Please rate my current build line up. This is the first system I have built in quite a few years. I would be acquiring the parts from newegg, zipzoomfly, and best buy. Please tell me what you think. Any advice would be appreciated. My main concercern is doing the physical build itself but I want to make sure that I go into it with the right components for the money. This system will be used for general video editing and some gaming. I will not be doing any overclocking but at times the system would be left on for a few days at a time. I want to make sure I have adequate cooling with the stock fans. Total system price including tax and shipping from the 3 vendors is $1,601.65. Thanks.

Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gigabye GA-P35-DS3P
2 x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2800
BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
Seagate 7200.10 SATA 500GB
Seagate 7200.10 SATA 750GB
Lian Li PC-7B plus II
Seasonic S12 SS650-HT 650W
Sony/NEC 18x DVD
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Very nice.

Quad is perfect for video editing.

I assume you need Firewire for your video devices, and in that case the DS3P is great. If you don't need Firewire you can save some money getting the GA-P35-DS3R.

2 GB of RAM is enough for most people. If you intend to get Vista and your video files are huge get 4 GB.

I'd get two 500 GB disks instead of one 750 GB disk for the same money or less.

Nice case (Lian Li PC-60BPLUSII).

The PSU is great. Also check out Corsair 620HX, get that one if it's cheaper.

Personally I'd prefer LG to Sony.

Not sure if it's worth getting the Arctic Silver for a stock cooler.

Kawi Saibot

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2007
Em, high end spec.But I think you should add more RAM since you have large storage for smooth running.For the optical drive, try DVDRW such as Lite-On, Sony, and Samsung.For thermal compound, i think just use the original one since you don't want to overclock your machine.

mp33

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated. You both pointed out about the use of that Arctic Silver thermal paste. To be honest I'd rather not use any at all. Prefer not to make a mess of things. So to clarify, does the Q6600 retail with heatsink and fan come with a paste in the box? If yes, is it necessary to use? If it doesnt come with it, will it be necessary to get any at all? I will not be overclocking and will be using the stock heatsink and fan.

Thanks

mikeyp410

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I would actually use the 750 HD and get a Raptor or something fast at about 150 gigs for your main drive. That is what I would do though. Or even just get the 500 instead of the 750 with the Raptor.

I like your build.

The Q6600 retail will come with a stock cooler that has some tim pre-applied. It should do an reasonable job in cooling your system. A small tube of AS5 or shin-etsu-X23 will cost under $10, and will seat a dozen cpu's. It is possible that you will want to reseat your cooler if you don't get it on properly the first time. If this happens, you don't want to try to re-use the original tim. I think it is wise to just get some extra tim up front. Clean off the pre-applied tim with alcohol, and go to the arctic silver web site for instructions on how to apply it.
I would consider getting an OEM cooler. They will cool better, and be quieter. I favor those that use a quiet 120mm fan that pushes hot air towards the exit fan.
Memory is now relatively cheap; you might as well get 4gb.

---good luck---