Connection to neighbors network

ctopher10

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
ok here's the deal.
My neighbor has got a wireless router connected to a cable modem. Since I dont have cable i asked him if i can connect to his network. He does not know how i can connect but he said that if there is a way i can do it. He lives across the street shich is about 500ft away. I would like to know all the steps and parts needed which allow me to connect to his connection, i dont even have to be part of his LAN. My plan is to use the wireless connection for one computer (mine) and possibly an Xbox, I allready have a switch and wires for when i get the Wireless connection in my house. I do not think that hes security is very tight so i wont have to be running between houses. thakns alot for your time in advance.

a7m266-d (2) AMD 2400+ mp 1gb Crucial PC2100 ram WD 80gbSE 2WD 50gb WD 120gbSE rounded cables lian-li PC61 ati 9600 pro128mb 48x cd-rw Antec true 550 PSU

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
This is almost certainly against the providers terms of service. Unless your friend is an internet provider I'd suggest you have him contact his to find out their opinion about this. This is theft of service and hopefully nobody on this board will help you with this.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

dhlucke

Polypheme
Doing it is easy but if they find out they'll cut off his service.

<font color=red>_________________________________________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Wiggidy Wack!!!!</A></b>

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Ah, the beauty of youth. I'm sure there was a time I would have come off like the punk you seem to be. You'll learn junior. Well maybe you will anyway.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Well maybe not, and no thanks. I'm sure you can find another guy to do that for you on your own.

ctopher10

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2003
well i would just like to know how this could be done... i never said im going to do it.. im jsut curious, and its not against any terms of service. so please i just want information. Freedom of Speech and information. oh yea..lol

a7m266-d (2) AMD 2400+ mp 1gb Crucial PC2100 ram WD 80gbSE 2WD 50gb WD 120gbSE rounded cables lian-li PC61 ati 9600 pro128mb 48x cd-rw Antec true 550 PSU

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
It is not illegal unless is is theft of service or unauthorized connection to a network, i.e. wardriving. You ought to look into a directional wifi antenna like:

Check <A HREF="http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/wifi_cantenna_review.php" target="_new">this</A> out.

dhlucke

Polypheme
junior! LOL!!!

<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">I am watching you!</A></b>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
"and its not against any terms of service"

Really? I seriously doubt it. Would be a very generous provider? Who's his broadband with?

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
"oooo, good come back."

Thanks. Don't worry though little buddy. You'll pick up plenty of wisecracks once you get a little older. Elementary school isn't exactly a hotbed for pointed responses.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I don't think it's illegal since it's like sharing a network connection. You can have more than one computer on your internet connection.

But I am really not sure if you will be able to connect. It is really too far. The range is something like 300ft without any walls.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
Nope, it's not like sharing your connection with your own household. The argument is tiresome. Ask your provider. They'll give you the skinny. $10 paypal to you if your ISP will allow you to share your connection with neighbors. There actually be some very liberal providers that will allow it but buy and large, it will be a very explicit "no way".

Edit: post your provider support email if you want the money though and who you spoke to/emailed you.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kwebb68 on 02/23/04 08:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

dhlucke

Polypheme
My provider told me that I couldn't share it when they were here installing my cable.

Shouldn't and couldn't are two seperate things though.

<b><A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">I am watching you!</A></b>

G4t3k33p0r

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
Retailers all over the country tell customers that they will be able to allow multiple computers to use the same broadband connection. I do believe that the TOS refer to all household systems as being legal. However, if it a neighbor, whether next door or across the street, I can see this as going against the TOS. However, Ctopher asked for the neighbor's permission and although it can be seen as a "guest" computer...as if a friend brought over his laptop to use on the front lawn, in his car, on the roof, in the backyard, etc.

I see no problem with this. I have worked at a Gateway Country where the Cox Cable representative comes in at least once every two weeks. He sees no problem with it either.

g4t3k33p0r

G4t3k33p0r

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
jp5 posted a link to a good article regarding the cAntenna. Sounds like what you'll need to boost reception.

g4t3k33p0r

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm not sure how they monitor it. If you're jacking someone from across the street I can see that as being a problem. However, if it's your next door neighbor or someone in the apt down the hall I don't see how they COULD stop you.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
It'd be pretty hard for the provider to find out. If they did they could most certainly stop you. It's against ISP TOS. The argument can be made for it being right or wrong morally or ethically but it's really not even an arguable point as to whether or not it's binding and/or allowed by your provider. No large provider would allow it, and it would unusual for a smaller ISP to allow it. Why would they. Let the guy get his own account. If you want to be an ISP, which is what your doing if you re-sell the connection leased to you, then do just that.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you call that a beating? your just a loser thats afraid to step on any toes.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Time to lick your wounds and shuffle off j, it's over and has been for what? a week now. Be a good little boy and go peacefully with your tail between your legs.

TRENDING THREADS