New motherboard with old windows 7 install

spedkiller

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
My motherboard recently died without notice, so I bought a new one. Since my motherboard died all of suddenly I was unable to back things up from my windows 7 installation, and I really need to be able to my current installation working with this new motherboard.

The only part of my build that I have changed is my motherboard from a BIOSTAR G31-M7G DVI LGA 775 Intel G31 (dead) to a ECS BLACK SERIES P45T-A LGA 775 Intel P45 (new). Currently when I try to boot windows 7 it detects that the system has changed and prompts me to either start windows normally or run the start up repair tool. Starting windows normally comes up with a blue screen, while when I run the tool, it says the problem cannot be repaired. I guessing some of my problems are coming from the fact that I also changed chipsets.

My question comes down to what are my options without doing a clean install? Would it be possible to do a repair install like you can in windows XP? Or are there somethings I could do through command prompt (I can get this through a part of the start up tool) or the windows 7 disc?

More specific specs:
Windows 7 64bit ultimate (believe it is update to date, or close)
Old motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138132
New motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135093
4GB DDR2 RAM
E7200 dual-core
GTX 260
640GB WD black caviler

Thanks!

chriscornell

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
You probably won't be able to repair your Win 7 installation.
When you swap motherboards a whole lot of things get changed at once:
IDE-controller
Raid-controller
Soundcard
LAN/Networking-card
Northbridge
Southbridge
BIOS
+ all your current hardware recieves a new IRQ

I think a reinstall is the only way - sorry :(

ulysses35

Distinguished
No option or chance of booint into safe mode ? I know from my old PX days I had a similar problem and was able to use safe mode to uninstall all the drivers then reboot normally before using the driver for my new mobo.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Jack's suggestion of using another drive would be the safest option.
If that's not possible and you have the W7 upgrade version, you can boot in with the W7 disk, choose custom install for a clean instalation. This will collect all files from the previous install and put them in a folder called Windows.old, from which you can recover your data later and delete the folder when you are finished with it.
I don't know if this is possible with the OEM version, I havn't come across anyone using the full OEM to do an upgrade.
But as always backing up first is always recomended, in case things go pearshape.

stephan_45

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
hey guys, I have the same problem, my motherboard died, on me.
well to be precise, I bought the gateway DX4831 and it came with the gatway windows 7 home. I didn't like it so I partitioned the 1000gb drive and installed windows 7 pro into the new partition.
after my motherboard died, I bought a new one and changed the motherboard, now windows 7 pro won't start, but window 7 home can start just fine.

At this point I am very confused, when I start Win7Pro, as soon as it boot up the thing crashes, but when I boot up win7home it works like a charm.

what are the differences??