Sign in with
Your question

Agp or Pci ? A big confusion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 27, 2007 2:30:59 PM

hi there,
i often upgrades my moderboard, now i wanna buy a video card but i m confused which one i should buy, agp or pci....
after reading lots of topics and sites, i prefer to buy agp but the problem is that if i upgrade my motherboard and the newer motherboard wont have the same slot for agp then that video card will be useless for me,
but pci dont have this problem....
i dont want to buy video card after every upgrade as i want the toppest video card and its costly

is there any converter for it or any other way???

thanks

More about : agp pci big confusion

a c 164 U Graphics card
a c 89 V Motherboard
August 27, 2007 2:57:15 PM

You should buy whatever video card fits in the video card "slot" on your new motherboard. If you buy a brand new motherboard, it will have a PCIe slot. This is where current video technology is. If you buy one slightly older or used, it might still have an AGP slot. This is the former video card standard. Last, if you buy a lowend motherboard, it might not have any video card slot at all, and you'll need to buy a card that uses the common PCI bus. (did you notice the difference? PCIe and PCI are different.)

Figure out what motherboard you are going to buy, then buy the video card that works in that board.
August 27, 2007 2:57:19 PM

There are no really useful converters if you want top notch. You'll have to go pci-e sooner or later anyways. Agp has already disapperared in my opinion.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 27, 2007 3:16:55 PM

Overall, the only way to go with GPU's is PCIe.

The two reasons to even go with a PCI card are these:

1) Your AGP/PCie port is fried and you need to get a working video card.
2) You're upgrading an older system that doesn't have either.

The only reason to go with AGP is you have a high-end AGP based system and you don't want to take the plunge into building a new system just yet.

Also, if you're going to keep buying the highest end GPU on the market, you shouldn't complain about buying a new motherboard to support it.
August 29, 2007 12:39:37 AM

@4745454b : i have PCIe

@runswindow s95 : thats why i wanna buy pci but its slower than PCIe
i m not complaining any m/b, i just said that they keep changing in the slot and for highest then i meant that i wanna buy todays highest

if any more, please try to tell fast as i need to buy it soon
thanks guys
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
August 29, 2007 1:05:12 AM

If you want to buy today's highest, you're looking at PCIe. Again, you only go with PCI if you have no other option.
August 29, 2007 1:32:50 AM

Just SLI a pair of 8800 Ultra's.
August 29, 2007 3:51:13 PM

If you have an AGP port, you'd be insane to buy a PCI card.

PCI is so slow, you're giving away performance. No PCI card comes close to performing like an AGP counterpart.
August 29, 2007 4:05:56 PM

ok so i should buy video card for PCIe
thanks you guys again for you suggestions
bye
August 29, 2007 11:47:02 PM

just make sure your mobo supports pcie first!
!