Overheating or Overexceeding?

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
MY comp after maybe 1hr of operation shuts down into a sort of standby state. THe power light is on but the fans and everything else is off. Am I overheating my computer? OR am I going over my PSU can handle (PSU is 500 watts my old one that died on me was 580 but my comp uses about 300, or so I think) I think I havwe like a broken heat sensor or something. I am buying a new mobo adn RAM and a CPU which if it is a heat sensor on the mobo i have now it wont be a problem for long, but i was curious to what you guys think.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Did this start randomly, or was the case moved, knocked, etc? Maybe your heatsink got loose and the processor is forcing a shutdown b/c of overheating. Is it always after one hour or after/during intense tasks? what are you doing when it goes into this standby? Have you tried monitoring temps?

What are the system specs?

Try re-seating the heatsink and check that it makes proper contact if the temps are too high.

HTH

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
the CPU operates hot (P4 runs at 51C) but when i was cleaning a fan funnel i droped the screw driver on the mother board (dur da dur) and it might of hit something. atm i have the side panel off with a fan blowing at it, no probs os far. And 1 hr aws a rough estimate i ment like intense gaming or such.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
51*C is load temp? or idle?

Check system stability with orthos or Prime95. 24hrs is close to 100% stable, 2hrs is what some might consider stable but 24 will give you a way better guarantee.

Monitor temps with speedfan or another good program. Use CPU-Z to check whether your processor is throttling, I would recommend a better program but I cant remember which one was better. A Google search should help you find a better program.

If your computer fails the tests then you have an unstable machine. Then you will need to try and figure out why it's unstable.

Post your results when your done. (stable, not stable, idle & load temps, etc.) Also, full system specs would make it easier to diagnose the problem.

phantom93

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
atm 51C is a idle temp, and using speedfan (i already monitered my comp with it earlyer) internal temp is at 40C (doesnt feel liek 40C to me but w\e) and my HDD is in the high 30's. I think my mobo is worn out or sumthing but when i get my parts it wil be like a new cop and i shouldnt have any probs excpet maybe for installing drivers or w\e but yeah.

smokedyou911

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
What socket p4 is it? Is it stock cooling? I was using a p4 stock cooling, sockett 478 idling at 50+c, load at 70c. I swiched heatsinks to a coolermaster one, idle ~40c, load no higher then 50.

TRENDING THREADS