Sign in with
Your question

e6600 to e6750, HUGE temp drops- TAT vs Nvidia

Last response: in CPUs
August 16, 2007 5:31:50 PM

Just upgraded a not quite year old 6600 to a 6750. Watercooled temps were in the upper 30's to mid 40's on the 6600 with TAT, CoreTemp, and the Nvidia Monitor all within a degree. Load temps with orthos hit almost 50. Room is ~78 degrees.

Install the 6750, and TAT and CoreTemp show mid 20's with low 30's load. BUT Nvidia Monitor is showing 40-43, and upper 40's load.

And yes, I had a good seat on the e6600, as I went through several MBs b4 I settled on the 680i board.

Any thoughts? 24 hour burn in, and still the same differences.
August 16, 2007 6:47:14 PM

As memory serves me, the 6750 uses less watts, therefore makes less heat in the first place. As for the Nvidia monitor being off, temps can be measured in different places, so a cpu may drop in temp while the part which Nvidia measures didn't. Ok, that's a crude explaination and possibility of what's going on, but its something to consider. Better places and ways to measure actual temps would be in the BIOS or the use of a third party program like Speedfan. I've used Speedfan myself while overclocking so that I have a constant standard by which to gauge things. Its a free download, so all its costs you is the time to do it.
August 16, 2007 9:58:17 PM

I will second the E6750 using less watts to run

as sailer said less power = less heat
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
August 16, 2007 10:46:19 PM

and it seems all the new e6x50 series use Tjunction of 100C instead of the previous 85C, so most software read the coretemps 15C too low. Nvidia monitor is probably showing only the Tcase temp (correct reading) and TAT and CoreTemp are showing the core temps (15C too low).
But just to make sure, check the idle temps, and if they are below ambient, this is the case...
August 17, 2007 2:26:01 AM

Kari-

You win the prize! Temps firing up tonight were in the 13-15 c range, then are hovering at 23-25 after 3 hours of ops.

Room ambient is right around that.

So the Nvidia monitor is correct, very interesting!

Need to take all those folks showing really low temps with TAT and CoreTemp and the new series e cpu's to task.

Thanks for clearing it up.
a c 131 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2007 4:48:25 AM

EDIT
core temp shows wrong? is it the newest one?
Screen shot?
___________orig_______________
Get Core Temp.
it knows how to get the 100c t-junction vs 85 for the right cpus
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Or use speedfan and add a 15c offset for 100c tj chips
a b à CPUs
a b C Monitor
a b Î Nvidia
August 17, 2007 12:07:09 PM

nukemaster said:
EDIT
core temp shows wrong? is it the newest one?
Screen shot?
___________orig_______________
Get Core Temp.
it knows how to get the 100c t-junction vs 85 for the right cpus
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp/

Or use speedfan and add a 15c offset for 100c tj chips

This is from my system, with ambient around 23C

edit: only one difference, after i upgraded the bios to the newest version, Speedfan is showing the cpu temp wrong aswell :p 

edit2: Just noticed that CoreTemp detects the processor as E6650 (not as E6550) Might be just a typo
August 17, 2007 5:38:41 PM

Temp get tossed back and fourth all the time and 99% of the people using them have no clue wether they are reading Tcore or Tjunction temps. There is a significant difference between those two temps. Also, Unless something has changed in the newest chips, there is NO WAY for software to directly access the CPU's thermal diodes to obtain a direct reading. The core 2 duo CPU's just dont have the capability. ALL software programs are making calculation based on some ASSUMED vairables, therefore ALL outputs are "best guesses" not absolute temps. WERD!
!