who *needs* a terabyte drive?

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
Just out of curiosity what kind of user is the terabyte drive aimed at? Unless you are REALLY into video editing I don't see how the average user would need one. I barley have 200gb full between 2 drives, one of which is a backup, and I have thousands of pictures and a couple hundred mp3's.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002

Anybody who is building a HTPC and wants there DVD collection on disk will want a 1TB drive.

greenspoon

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007

I create a backup image of all my games and software so I don't have to hunt down the media. They add up very quickly.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I have 2.5tb with my HTPC and i'm running out! Then again, i have my entire 400 movie collection on there. Going to have to buy some another external drive soon :(

pumpkin-soup

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Me,
I need more space.
Although i dont specifically have a single terabyte drive. i have a 1000gb(just shy of 1tb) raid setup and a 320gb drive. at the moment i have around 250+gb free in total.

I have the 320gb drive for all my isos, 30gb from the raid set aside for vista. 15gb from the 320gb drive for osx, just under 300gb of dvds waiting to be xvid-ified, around 300gb of xvid-ified dvd rips(subs, multiple audio streams ie commentary etc).
about 50gb of digital photos from around 5 years or so.
about 25gb of mp3 music 192kbps. which i just trimmed down from around 45gb.
and a bunch of stuff ive snatched from computers at lans, work, friends etc.

but yeah i dont really think the average user would need the space.. but digital video is a major user. im only dealing with dvds and its taking up almost 300gbs.
imagine once you start dealing with hi def dv streams of almost uncompressed footage..
all i can say is that if they can make it why not..eventually the price will come down and it will be a no brainer to get your 750/1tb drives.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
There are a lot of uses but it's mostly for HTPC or file/media server applications. I have about 300gb used on my 500gb drive so I can see where some people might need the storage. I also rip my music to WAV rather than MP3 which takes up much more room because I like to have the full lossless copy on my drive and I can hear the difference between the two.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004

I didn't even think about HTPC. But isn't a DVD 4.7 gb? How many DVD's does the average user put on their PC?

And speaking of this...what is the connection of PC to receiver/tv? Do you use your TV's HDMI cable and plug it into your video card? Can it be done wirelessly or via your home's coax cables already running through the walls?

Thanks!

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Amen..., don't forget the pRon..., terbyte just for that.....

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm using a DVI cable to my tv (Samsung M87). Basically my HTPC looks like a dvd player but is a pc (I keep it in the cabinet below the TV). However i mostly use my DVD player to play movies, because it's absolutly brilliant; Arcam DV88, couple of years old but still great.

Each DVD takes up around 700mb ish when ripped in divx format which looks fine on my tv.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

sounds like a nice collection QS....,

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I have 1TB total on 1 of my PCs; 2x250GB SATA drives in raid 0 plus an external 500GB drive. Last weekend I reformated the internal array and purged my external backup of any redundant, old or unnecessary files - taking me down to 400GB of used space. Besides things like videos, music, OS/programs, pictures one thing that has really begun to take up alot of space has been my VCDs. For both convenience and to protect my discs I've been making backups of all my games which takes up a lot of space. And that doesn't even include my HTPC which I haven't been using for the past couple months. That has a 320GB HDD and with all my recordings plus the games my son plays on it I was filling that hard drive up every few weeks then having to delete old recordings. A 1TB drive in that machine would be nice so that I can save recordings longer and especially when I upgrade the tuner to HD.

mford66215

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Got just over 1Tb now and climbing...mostly for htpc stuff. Ripping the dvd's to disk so that my dvd's aren't destroyed with use. Some music, lots of photos (that take very little space), standard stuff.

Turns out the average 4yr old is NOT as destructive as a 20yr old and his friends. The 4yr old will put the dvd back when he's done with it.

Which, if my nephews are any indication, will be sometime between 2009 and Peace in the Middle East.... You know it's bad when you reference the MTBF for your disc player to estimate when that F*%$^$ing Purple Dinosaur will exit your life. Preferably forever....

Anyone know if the old Barney mod for DOOM runs on Vista??? Anyone think it's sad that I *remember* that mod???

/sings ...Head, Shoulders, knees and toes, kneesandtoes.... Head, Shoulders, knees and toes, kneesandtoes.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

GeorgeH

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
At 9GB/hr HDTV takes up a lot of space - 100hrs/TB.

DVDs run 7GB for current movies - 140/TB. I usually compress them to just under 4GB into 1 VOB - 250/TB.

Repackaging my HTPC to allow 8 hard drives. Sure would like 1TB drives but it gets expensive.

lightzy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I could definitely use 1TB only for game installs, mods and stuff.. oh and of course the DVD images..

And thats before future-proofing..

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I have a HTPC connected to my Denon reciever through HDMI which is then connected to my screen. It depends on your setup as to exactly how everything should be connected. And a DVD is actually about 9gb so if you have a decent collection it can get full pretty fast.

weilin

Distinguished
I do a bit of video editing and raw video is unforgiving... Also, at work i manage a database of patient photographs and charts.. as small as each jpg is, they add up fast...