My 8800GTS Performance - please help.

happenincat

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
I've had my NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB for about 3 weeks now and haven't had any problems until now. I checked my NVIDIA MonitorView because a game I was playing was running somewhat sloppy, and under the Performance tab of the MonitorView, the "Disk" keeps shooting up to 50%-100%, and I've never seen it go above 0. I'm not sure what this means. The temp atm is 58c.

Am I in trouble?

DJ_Jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2007

So is your hard drive accessing constantly when this happens?
Is this only happening in one game?
How full is your HD?

I don't think that you're in trouble, per se. You might have some HD issues that can be fixed from what I'm understanding from you now. More info, please.

happenincat

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

So is your hard drive accessing constantly when this happens?

Not entirely sure what you mean by this, so I'll just guess. :p If you mean what I was doing, I had World of Warcraft, Firefox and Trillian running, and those were it. This happened after a fresh boot up.

Is this only happening in one game?

I tried running CS:Source, and it was doing the same thing.

How full is your HD?

I'm currently using 49.1 gigs of the 500 gig HD.

The computer itself is pretty new, only about 3ish weeks old.

Anything else just let me know, I will answer the best I can. Thanks for your reply.

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
I don't think the problem is with your graphics card. I think you have some program or something running in the background.

Btw, did you install your OS yourself or did you bought a pc already with it?
A frind of mine both one pc with the OS already preinstaled so it add a lot of junk software running in the background. Maybe this is your problem also!!!

Go to task manager a see how many processes you have running in there, A normal pc should be running from 30 to 50, more than that and will probably will be slow.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
on the subject of junk software... DELL!!!!, but yeah I don't think you have a hardware issue (and almost certainly not one in your gfx card)

happenincat

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

I bought a PC from ibuypower.com, because I've never built a computer myself, and still didn't feel comfortable with it yet. I've had a few friends who have used them before, and said good things about the company.

I currently have 50 processes running at the moment. The top 3 in terms of Mem Usage are WoW, Firefox and Trillian. Then there's 4 processes that are using 22,000k that I'm not sure what they are.

mishima

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2007
With my friend pc I went to the start menu and run(xp) msconfig, on vista just type msconfig on the search menu, the go to startup a an uncheck all the stuff you don't need to start together with your pc, like for example if you have this: Adobe updater
Messenger
office
Quicktime

You get the point.
Just make sure you keep checked anything from your antivirus, Microsoft or something you are not sure what it is!!!
Then startup the pc and see if its better...

happenincat

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Always build a computer yourself. Always. Get a case, look at it in your room for a few days, get comfortable with it. Slowly learn how to add to it. Offer an experienced buddy BEER, he'll help and probably stick a small OC on it too, and offer endless support. After this, you'll never trust anyone at Dell etc. to make you a computer with lousy components and cram it full of Trialware as spuddyt mentioned. Also, if a HDD craps out, you usually have to send back the whole system for them to repair it for you, sometimes taking weeks. After you built your own PC you'll be completely free of being at the mercy of the likes of Dell, and, your computer will be up and running much faster!

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Hmm, read your stuff carefully... Maybe you could try installing Avast! Antivirus, works really well and is free. Before you run it, run CCleaner (free too) to clear out all your internet crap, and defrag your HDD, you probably have frags out the nose on a recent PC. Fresh PCs should always be defragged after all the drivers, OS and stuff is installed. Then run Avast and see what it finds. Geeze, hope this helps.

happenincat

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

It wasn't built by Dell or Gateway or a company like that, there's nothing extra installed that I don't need, or haven't installed myself.

MaxXx9

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
This is happening to me too. Do you have the new nvidia video drivers. The beta ones. I dont think its a video problem, actually im 99% sure its not. But i scanned my system for viruses and spyware. no help...

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

You really need to trim some fat off you processes, under 35 is the most I'll run at any given time. I don't think that your processes are the cause of your problems, try installing different driver for your Nvidia. Run Burn-in test 5.3 and uncheck any hardware your not testing here.>> www.passmark.com

This program will let you know if your HDD or any off your components are giving you errors. Good luck!

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Are you running vista? i use up almost all 2gb of my memory when i play BF2 at max settings since the 8800 GTS eats up a bit of it to drive it in addition to vista.
EDIT: This was not a dell, read the forum first, I dont think they even offer a GTS

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Delete all the crapware, install CCleaner and delete all the internet clutter, run disk cleaner (under accessories), then, lastly, Defrag the hard-drive.

If it is REALLY bad, defrag first, do what I said above, then defrag AGAIN when you are done. Defraging first is so your system gets a bit of a speed boost while you are working, then the defrag again when you are done to fill all the gaps from your activity. Should be fine afterwards.

If not, reformat, re-install, and defrag the fresh system (they always need it).