X1900XTX Problem: PSU OK? *edited*

idiotboy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Oh well, I think I answered my own question searching through other forums. From what I can tell, it should run OK. Does anyone concur?
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=15938

Now I just wonder why my card was resetting my monitor during the BioShock demo (+looping sound)and going black on 1024X768. It was also artifacting and texture ripping then crashing on Oblivion at 1024 X 768 + HDR. Any ideas anyone? Is the card trashed?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
it may run fine, but bear in mind that its not good to run a PSU at its operational limits all the time since that will wear it out much faster

idiotboy

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for the reply.......

Do you know what could make a X1900XTX run the BioShock demo perfectly for 5-10 minutes and then just crap out to a black screen when it gets up to around 90C? It has the stock cooler which I've heard is crap, but why would it artifact within 5 minutes on Oblivion with my case open? Is it a heat issue? Does it need more thermal tranfer compound on the GPU (it was barely covered and dried out/cooked in some areas.....)

BTW, I have 4 sticks of 512MB DDR2, 2 optical drives, 1 stock Dell Dimension 8400 hard drive, and an Audigy2 ZS. That's it, no other peripherals drawing power.

gscrugg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I have a Sapphire x1900GT in one of my systems and mine did the same thing with a corsair HX520 powersupply so i think it is just a problem with the ram on the card overheating. I installed a side case fan 90mm blowing directly onto the card and now the card only starts messing up after about 4 hours of straight gaming. Also, btw if your video card black screens, my ati always reset itself if you wait like 20 seconds and you can keep playing games(dont have to reboot). The heatsink on it is AWFUL. Im just waiting for nvidia's new cards to come out to replace it.. BTW sapphire tech support is awful.

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Don't use CCC, use tray tools to fix that crap. Control the fan speed better as the stock cooler is very effective. Maybe reseat it but pointless to go aftermarket without water.