fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
I recently upgraded my network and added an 802.11n wireless access point. Capable of 300mb/sec. My roommate's wifes Sony Vaio connects at the full 300mb/sec and my Asus Eee 1000 connects at 135mb/sec. While I do enjoy the added range and increased throughput over my older 802.11g access point.
I began to wonder what the point of greater then 100mb/sec wireless speeds was. The access point I have only connects to my gigabit switch at 100mb/sec. So why do I need the extra speed? Are there any access points which connect to a wired network at 1000mb/sec? Or is the additional wireless speed only useful for transfers between wireless clients?

G

You know when breakfast cereal ads claim things like "helps you start you day right" when as often as not it's just a lazy way of grabbing a bite if you're running late -- and the contents of the packet go all over the floor and the bowl may well end up in your lap.

Well, wireless networking specs are a bit like that -- supposed speeds and range are largely the product of the marketing team's imagination.

gstefanick

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005

There is two sides to this story ...

There are some advantages to 802.11n in home use:
* If you are using internal transfers and have a gig switch. For example maybe you are pulling down or up from a ftp server or moving files from your wireless workstation to another station.
* Also since the speed is much quicker, you occupy the medium less. This allows for more traffic throughput. Remember only 1 client can talk at a time in a wireless medium.
* 802.11n has also be found to be helpful when in areas of congestion (high density of wireless networks).
* 802.11n Allows you to shape your medium in 20 or 40 mhz channels.

Enterprise wise:
Some customers have hundreds of wireless devices occupying the medium at the same time. Although, enterprise wise 802.11n is deployed on the 5 GHz side due to the channel widths (40 mMHz). It can also be deployed on the 2.4 GHz side, but with 20 MHz spacing.