printing file lists

Sounds as an easy task but cannot find it in the xp index. Can't find how to
save a folder's files list in e.g. Excel to print it out later. I'm doing
that using DOS commands but if DOS can do it, I'd guess Windows can as
well.... Will greatly appreciate your help !!

You mention Excel.

One method to pull directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in.
This allows filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-ins>Directory Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

talkhead wrote:
> Sounds as an easy task but cannot find it in the xp index. Can't find
> how to save a folder's files list in e.g. Excel to print it out
> later. I'm doing that using DOS commands but if DOS can do it, I'd
> guess Windows can as well.... Will greatly appreciate your help !!

dir /b > filename.txt
There are also scripts written to do it for you out there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

talkhead wrote:
> Sounds as an easy task but cannot find it in the xp index. Can't find how to
> save a folder's files list in e.g. Excel to print it out later. I'm doing
> that using DOS commands but if DOS can do it, I'd guess Windows can as
> well.... Will greatly appreciate your help !!

From the command prompt (Start > Run > Cmd.exe), simply change to
the desired directory and type "dir > filelist.txt" or "dir > lpt1,"
just as you used to do in DOS. Any of the switches for the DIR
command (type "dir /?") will work with this command, if you wish to
modify the output. You can then subsequently edit the resulting text
file using NotePad, WordPad, Word, etc.

Alternatively:

HOW TO Add a Print Directory Feature for Folders in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321379

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: