Sign in with
Your question

Big problem with my first homebuilt system

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2007 9:19:19 AM

Hello, I'm looking for a little tech support on my first home built system.

I recently purchased a full system (all new parts, nothing recycled) and had two problems with my motherboard and graphics card.

My motherboard was a GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H 690G AM2 and my graphics card was a Radeon 2900XT by Sapphire.

What happened was, everything was working fine until I did two different things. I installed the final two gigs of crucial ram into the Mobo, (totalling 4 gigs) and turned the fan controls up on my antec 900 to high. I noticed that the display in windows vista (64 bit version) started to generate random white lines at various sections of the monitor, immediatly followed by a flickering of the monitor several times. The problem resolved itself in a few seconds and said that the: ATI graphics display driver recovered from a fatal error. I decided to turn my computer off and turn the fan settings back to low.

The problem still happened so I called ATI customer support. The first techinician never heard of the problem so he sent me to a higher up. The higher up went through a bunch of stuff with me until coming to the conclusion that my card might be faulty. I decided to return the card and just use onboard mobo graphics until the new one arrived. Sadly, the system failed to boot after I removed the graphics card. I tried everything until coming to the conclusion that the mobo might be broken too, so I returned that.

Now I am waiting for my Radeon and MOBO to arrive in the mail so I can try this again but I do NOT want the same problem to happen. I am using a corsair 620HX which is apparantly a great power supply, and I hooked up the antec 900 fans to the Fan Only power connecter. Should I hook them up to a regular 4 pin molex connecter instead? Did my adjustment to a high setting short out my motherboard and graphics card?

Maybe it's my memory, but I don't think it is, as it seemed to work fine. I KNOW it's not static discharge as I wear a band and even go overboard and ground myself to the side of the case every time I install a new part. Also, when I talked to the guy on tech support we went through everything. I had updated drivers, the bios was fine (in that integrated graphics were turned off), etc etc. I'm just so confused. Nothing was overclocked, and everything was working fine until I turned the fan setting to high. I'm getting the new parts but I don't want them to break again. I need some serious advice!

Did I just get bad hardware? Or was it my fault?

Also, on a side note. Do I need to hook up the AC'97 or HD Audio cables to the mobo in my Antec 900 if I already am using a Soundblaster X-Fi?
August 17, 2007 10:20:27 AM

dsaffron said:
What happened was, everything was working fine until I did two different things. I installed the final two gigs of crucial ram into the Mobo, (totalling 4 gigs) and turned the fan controls up on my antec 900 to high. I noticed that the display in windows vista (64 bit version) started to generate random white lines at various sections of the monitor, immediatly followed by a flickering of the monitor several times. The problem resolved itself in a few seconds and said that the: ATI graphics display driver recovered from a fatal error. I decided to turn my computer off and turn the fan settings back to low.

It does sound like a gpu problem rather than anything else (although psu probs is still a possibility). Mobo is unlikely, imo. When you unseated the cpu to rma the board, was the hsf securely in place- or did you notice it was loose?

dsaffron said:
I decided to return the card and just use onboard mobo graphics until the new one arrived. Sadly, the system failed to boot after I removed the graphics card. I tried everything until coming to the conclusion that the mobo might be broken too, so I returned that.

Obvious question- but you did change the bios settings to use the onboard vga didn't you (esp if it was previously disabled)? Otherwise it won't start-up

dsaffron said:
Now I am waiting for my Radeon and MOBO to arrive in the mail so I can try this again but I do NOT want the same problem to happen. I am using a corsair 620HX which is apparantly a great power supply, and I hooked up the antec 900 fans to the Fan Only power connecter. Should I hook them up to a regular 4 pin molex connecter instead? Did my adjustment to a high setting short out my motherboard and graphics card?

Im confused. The 900 only has a molex connector (from memory). Not sure what you mean by 'fan-only': anyways, if they were working- no adjustment you made will result in a 'short'. If the fans are drawing too much power- you will experience start up or windows volatility probs- but shouldn't damage anything.

dsaffron said:
Maybe it's my memory, but I don't think it is, as it seemed to work fine. I KNOW it's not static discharge as I wear a band and even go overboard and ground myself to the side of the case every time I install a new part. Also, when I talked to the guy on tech support we went through everything. I had updated drivers, the bios was fine (in that integrated graphics were turned off), etc etc. I'm just so confused. Nothing was overclocked, and everything was working fine until I turned the fan setting to high. I'm getting the new parts but I don't want them to break again. I need some serious advice!

Did I just get bad hardware? Or was it my fault?

Bad hardware- Im guessing bad gpu. If your mobo was still working for the gpu (albeit with lines)- then chance are that was fine. The only thing I'd point out is that discharging static on the side of the case is only good if the case itself is grounded. But, to be honest, doesnt sound like a static issue to me.

dsaffron said:
Also, on a side note. Do I need to hook up the AC'97 or HD Audio cables to the mobo in my Antec 900 if I already am using a Soundblaster X-Fi?

Depends on what audio inputs your using- the AC'97 / HD Audio connectors from your case are front panel audio connectors for your rig. If your plugging anything into the 'front' (actually the top with the 900), then youll need to use the connector- preferably HD if you have em. Soundcard is irrelevant (that works by pci / pci-e).
August 17, 2007 5:19:41 PM

Wow, thanks surfer, all your answers are helpful. To help elucidate the power issue, the corsair 620 HX has a connecter labeled "Fan Only" with only two pins. I used this "Fan Only" connecter to hook up the fans on the antec 900.

It seemed to work with the setting on low, but when I turned it to high my computer went nutso I guess. So, I guess I'm asking, should I just use one of the 4 pin periphiral connecters instead?

As for the Mobo. When I removed the card, I also reset the CMOS. It worked for one boot, but after that it failed to boot. Leading me to believe that the mobo was trashed too. I reset the CMOS with a jumper by the way.
January 12, 2009 12:53:35 AM

I've encountered the same problem. The video displays white lines and more so there is static sound from the speakers. I determined the cause of this is the addition of an extra 2GB of RAM to my Giga GA-MA69G-S3H mobo. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks!
!