Shortcut to change theme?

maximdymok

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hello, i usually like to run the aero theme, but sometimes when i run graphic intensive applications i need to change it to basic/classic theme for max performance, and its really bugging me that i have to go to personalization each time and change the theme from there. I tried ending dwm.exe to disable aero, but for some reason it won't start back up when i try to launch dwm.exe in system32 folder. So is there any shortcut i could use that would change my theme to classic, and then back to aero? Thanks for any help.

You can set up the shortcuts for the intense apps to disable visual themes and desktop composition so that when you launch them they automatically disable them for you -- right click on the shortcut - click properties - go to the compatibility tab - and under settings check the disable visual themes and disable desktop composition boxes - and apply.

Now each time you use the shortcut to launch that application it will disable the aero interface and when it is closed it will switch back.

maximdymok

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Sorry, i forgot to tell you - i have tried that, but since that application has a laucher it doesn't work - when i click on the icon, the theme changes, then the launcher appears, i log in and hit enter, and that makes the launcher start a new process [java] and close itself, so it reverts to aero. I tried setting the same properties for java , but it doesn't seem to work :[

Found a blog entry that has this info which might work :

Shortcuts to enable and disable Aero

You can use the following command-line to disable Aero:
net stop uxsms

To switch Aero On, use this command:
net start uxsms

Note: The above commands need to be run from an elevated Command Prompt. This stops the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service, which in-turn disables Aero and switches automatically to the Windows Vista Basic scheme. If need to create desktop shortcuts to the above commands, make sure that you right-click on the shortcut and choose Run as Administrator in order to run it.

Emiya Shirou

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
But there is one flaw with those methods... we don't wanna ONLY disable aero... we want to change all system theming to Windows Classic so either method don't satisfy our needs...

Using both first or second will only disable aero and enable seven/vista basic theme... but I want to change for classic style for the time being... then quickly rewert back when the app will be closed like a second shortcut for that.