chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Looking at the different motherboard specs, the specs for pci express x 16 concern me. Most are listed as: PCI Express x16: 3 (1 electrical x16 or x8, 1 electrical x8, 1 electrical x4)

If you plan on running two graphics cards in SLI, does the second slot at electrical x8 reduce performance?

There is a board that specs out at:
PCI Express x16: 4 (The 4 PCI Express interface will operate at either
x8+x8+x16+x8 or x16+x16+x8 mode)

Which seems to be what I'm looking for, but it runs $50 more than the other boards I'm looking at. Is it just a waste of money?

ComputersMakeMeIll

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
For what my two pence is worth, Not if you bought an awesome graphics card ages ago and are picking up a duplicate at a knock down price. Never go straight to SLI. Buy the best u can afford as a single card and then later when u want a performance boost your original card should be cheaper so u can pick it up and get a better cost effective performance boost than shelling out on a whole new single awesome card.
Can't help you with your PCI X probs, as long as both cards are in a x16 slot they will work, boards with two x 16s are generally more expensive. Make sure you have the right chipset for your card. ATI cards need cross fire and Nvidia cards need their nForce.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I am getting an 8800gtx, single card. The sli will happen down the line. I just need to know that I am getting the proper motherboard for this.

jwlangs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007

Just make sure the north bridge is the nForce 680i (or nforce 590 if you've got an AMD processor) and you'll be fine. From your original post, the motherboard you're looking at has to be based on one of these.