Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
hello!
so here's my issue.

for drives, i currently have:
Main Drive (c)
Secondary Drive (d)
External DVD Drive (e)
usb slots and what not. my ipod was pluged in (f)
and finally my new sata dvd drive (g)

i was wondering if there was a way for me to move the E and G around. basically i want my new sata drive to be (E), and my External DVD drive to be (F). ive tried unpluging my external drive and ipod then resetting the computer, but that didnt work. help? suggestions?

thanks!

EDIT: i just tried uninstalling the driver, unplugging my E and F drives, then reinstalling it. still no go.... just incase that was going to be someoens sugestion.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
unintall the drives e, f , and g by right clicking it>properties>hardware> select a drive>click properties>drivers>uninstall. do this to E, f, and g then turn off ur computer> then disconnect them all>then plug the sata dvd in only and first then start ur computer>ur sata dvd should be (e) now. then u can plug in the ipod and external dvd while ur computer is on and they'l be the drives (f) and (g)

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Try disk management - just suggested it to someone so that they could recognize a new drive

control panel> administrative tools>computer management

disk management appears to the left under storage

Concur with badgtx1969

first - change DVD (E) to Drive H (temp.)
- change USB (F) to I (again temporary)

Change sata drive to E

Last - Ren DVD(H) back to F
- Ren USB(I) back to Drive G

I've done this several times under XP

Edeted - May need to reboot after Changing F -> I (under step 1)

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
SWEEET thanks guys!

EDIT: haha yeah forgot to mention, yeah its all good now. im running vista. if anyone else is running vista, just open up start menu and type computer management and then do your changes! thanks u guys!!

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Be careful if you already have game installed. Some programs does not like drives being move. otherwise if you try to updates it will ask you to insert CD from the old drive location. unless you know how tho change the registry. which I don't think you do.