Understanding Speedfan Temps

rhysee

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
This is most likey for your HDD , and sensors your motherboard has.
You can rename them too if you know what address $ feature what sensor..

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Thanks for chiming in again CompuTronix. Actually this time that does not clear up my confusion, and if anything it furthers it. I had read that article several times before starting this thread. I can't think that I'm the only one that was ever confused by this, so for my own enlightenment and for others that may search out this information I was hoping that within this thread we could spell out in no uncertain terms exactly what these temps refer to.

For instance:

HDO= ?
Temp 1= ?
Temp 2= ?
Temp 3= ?

The Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide is an excellent thread for general understanding of temperatures involved with CPUs, but this thread is meant to itemize and define the temperatures listed in Speedfan specifically, and to be spelled out in the simplest, most easily digested terms as possible.

If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Sparky6string, from the Guide:

..."Note 3: SpeedFan is very flexible and is the temperature monitoring utility of choice. SpeedFan detects and labels thermal sensors according to various motherboard, chipset and super I/O chip configurations, so the Tcase label can be CPU, Temp 1, Temp 2, or Temp 3. Even if Tcase is labeled as CPU, it is still necessary to confirm the identity of Tcase prior to conducting Calibrations. Run Prime95 and note which SpeedFan temperature scales with an Idle to Load Delta similar to the Cores. This will identify the label corresponding to Tcase. Labels can later be renamed using the Configure button, (see Section 11). If a temperature shows a flame icon, this indicates alarm limits which require adjustment. Use the Configure button to set CPU and Core temp alarms to Safe Scale. If a temperature shows Aux 127, this is simply an unassigned input which can be disabled using the Configure button."...

Again, labels are assigned according to various hardware configuration, so Temp 1, Temp 2 and Temp 3 are not consistently assigned to the same devices accross all hardware platforms. HD obviously refers to hard drive. CPU is easy to verify as described above, which is typically Temp 2, but not always. That leaves motherboard and / or chipset to identify. Chipset temp scales more closely to the CPU temp and Core temps when load is applied, while motherboard temp will show the smallest scaling. If you use the Charts tab while repeatedly starting and stopping Prime95, it's easy to sort out which labels apply to which devices. Once identified, labels can be renamed to match your rig's particular hardware configuration.

To sum it up, you can probably work it out for yourself in less time than it would take to search for your configuration on SpeedFan's website.

I hope this answers your questions,

Comp :sol:

Sparky6string

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
So then if I'm understanding this correctly it goes something like this:

Temperature designations can vary so they need to be identified. When stress testing Tcase comes closest in temperature to core/s, chipset is next highest and motherboard is the coolest.