Please help: Getting no video and no beeps from new system

cole22

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I've just put together a system with a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H board and Core 2 Duo E6750. But when I switch it on, I get no video signal and no beeps, I don't see the POST at all. :(

The CPU fan is spinning and the system fan which is connected to a molex connector is spinning and the case light is on. I've removed the RAM, HD and DVD and get the same result. Does anyone know what is wrong? Is the board fried?

Thanks for any help!

tglembo

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
Check for the speaker plug in, because if there is no RAM then you should definitely be hearing beeps. Also, check that your CPU is seated properly and in there tight. Once you have your speaker plugged in then if you hear beeps you can refer to the mobo manual to see what they mean.

cole22

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Yes my speaker is definitely plugged in. I've tried the connector both ways round (in case the polarity was wrong) but am still not getting any beeps.

The processor looks like it is tightly secured on the motherboard. Should I be getting beeps when there is no CPU on the motherboard? I could try that next but I don't want to remove the CPU + heatsink and reseat it unless I have to since it was such a pain getting those plastic fasteners from the heatsink to click into place!

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
make sure that you have the cpu power connected should be 4 or 8 pin connector near the processor. if that is connected and you still get no beep code without ram you possibly have a bad motherboard and or processor.double check all of your f-panel connections and if it's all right then i would do a complete tear down make sure your not grounding out anywhere (only correct number of standoffs in the correct places}. good luck and please keep us informed

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
It sounds like a board problem to me. I have seen many cases just like yours in my shop and a new board always fixed the problem. So I would attempt an RMA on the board and if you get it back and there is still a problem then I would look at the PSU as being faulty since in some cases it will still attempt to power the system, but fail none the less and this can happen. In most cases when you have no beep code, but everything seems to be spinning there is a good chance the board is angry with you. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

monnewbie3

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I had this problem once myself. Everything spun up but no video or noise. Turned after some testing it was a faulty Pci-e slot ( I know eh!). RMA'd the board, worked fine after that.

cole22

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
After taking the system apart again and checking everything you have all suggested, I've fixed it!

make sure that you have the cpu power connected should be 4 or 8 pin connector near the processor.

WGfalcon, that was it! I connected the first power connector to the board but forgot the CPU one. I can now get into the BIOS and can boot a live CD. Thank you very much!

Also, thank you to everyone else for your suggestions. You've all been really helpful!