Sign in with
Your question

Picking a futureproof motherboard

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2007 3:47:00 PM

I plan to get a the c2quad thats for 290 I believe.

What I really need help with is the motherboard. I need a futureproof motherboard that can support PCI-e 2.0 and with a long-lasting socket (like the 775 that will be replaced in a year and lasted for about 3-4 years) on it.

Can anybody help me with this?
a c 262 V Motherboard
August 17, 2007 4:55:51 PM

The only motherboard that I know of that will support pci-e 2.0 is based on the as yet not released X38 chipset.
There are very few PC components that will not be obsolete in two years, let alone 3 or 4. Such things as monitors and input devices are the exceptions. I don't think "futureproofing" is a worthwhile endeavor. Every year, better and cheaper products are introduced. Get what suits you now, and plan on replacing it when it no longer does what you want.
As to pci-e 2.0, It offers increased bandwidth for future products, but I don't think that the current pci-e bandwidth has been lacking for any current devices. I would be amazed if new VGA cards coming out were not compatible with both PCI-E versions.
If you will build in a month or two, then wait for an X-38 board. Otherwise, get a current P35 board that supports a C2D quad and has what you want now.
Related resources
August 17, 2007 5:27:26 PM

But I would leave it completely in the "Rumor" state.

I had heard that as well, but I've read other places the the rumor is not true for among other reasons is that PCIE-2 will need to support far more power through the PCIE bus than it does currently and that can't be fixed with a simple BIOS update.

I am far from an expert in this matter, but simply relaying what I have read.
a c 136 V Motherboard
August 17, 2007 5:43:46 PM

i posted that link lol
August 17, 2007 6:11:02 PM

There is no such things as a futureproof anything. Men have wasted their life to only realize that. Build for now, not for later.
a c 136 V Motherboard
August 17, 2007 6:14:51 PM

agreed, definitely ^^^^
August 17, 2007 6:27:41 PM

wow such good suggestions thanks so much. build for now not for later. because my current computer (i built for now and not later) and 3-4 years have passed. i spent 800 on these specs:

512 mb
p4 3.2 ghz
asus p5p800
case with 300W supply

back then PCs were so damn expensive. 512mb stick was for 120 o.0
Anyway. I feel like I got ripped, now i gotta shell another 800 for a new pc, so every 3-5 years i gotta get another new pc...
August 17, 2007 6:28:24 PM

another quick question I forgot to ask, do any current motherboards support PCI-e 2.0?
August 17, 2007 6:40:32 PM

The only ones that I know of off the top of my head are the p35 boards from intel.
August 17, 2007 6:43:47 PM

crazlunatic said:

Anyway. I feel like I got ripped, now i gotta shell another 800 for a new pc, so every 3-5 years i gotta get another new pc...

Yep, that is how it is. And 800 is not expensive for a new pc. Every 3-4 years I will be spending 3,000 on a new pc. For, I AM SPARTA... times 10.
August 17, 2007 6:47:38 PM

Lol, if you must know I am only a high-school student who's using his adsense earnings from Google to buy a PC.

But anyway, what is a P35 motherboard. I heard it supports the upcoming 45nm CPUs coming out at the end of this year? Does it support PCI-e 2.0? What mobos support them and if none do, how long must I wait? Thx tomshardware members
August 17, 2007 7:28:24 PM

i heard Asus overprices and I should go for Gigabyte, which is cheap and is very overclockable
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2007 7:55:49 PM

Yeah, Gigabyte is a good brand.

Look, no offense, but if you're not that rich why the heck do you even care about PCI-E 2.0? Even the 8800 GTX works fine with PCI-E 1 and is nowhere near needing PCI-E 2.0. If there is a video card in the next two years that absolutely needs PCI-E 2.0, chances are it will cost an arm and two legs. Get a GA-P35-S3L or GA-P35-DS3R, you'll be fine.
August 17, 2007 8:12:58 PM

well right now i can afford 1K - 1.5K. but later on i can most likely afford more.

So you think my best bet now is to get a motherboard that can support the upcoming 45nm and don't worry about PCI-e 2.0?
August 17, 2007 8:30:42 PM

Yes, pci 2.0 (although it's double the bandwidth) isn’t necessary right now. The current slot is more then enough for the 8800 line, nor is dx10.1. Why go there when dx10 is not even being utilized? If you can afford one, I highly recommend the 680i line of mobo. But I also highly, highly recommend gigabyte. They are my favorite!!

The 680i line can take the 45nm...
a b V Motherboard
August 17, 2007 9:29:21 PM

Yeah, worry about the 45 nm compatibility only. The P35 chipset should have no problems with it. The 680i and 975x chipsets may require BIOS flashing. With older chipsets it's probably too risky.

spaztic7, I agree that the 680i is a great chipset, and I seriously considered getting the GA-N680i-DQ6 despite its $350+ price. However, I'd still go with P35 unless it's for a SLI build (as in, 2 video cards at around $550 each).
August 17, 2007 9:33:13 PM

spaztic7 said:
There is no such things as a futureproof anything. Men have wasted their life to only realize that. Build for now, not for later.

Completely agree. It is a pipe dream to think you can future proof PC components. Just get what you want when you want because there is ALWAYS something new just around the corner.

Regarding PCIe 2.0, from what I've read, the current top of the line cards don't even flood the 1.1 lanes so at this point I wouldn't worry about that either. (I know a statement without evidence is bad...sorry, can't remember where exactly I've read this but I'm sure it was on Tom's site somewhere.)

Good luck with your decisions!
August 17, 2007 10:01:38 PM

Definitely build for now, not for later. In the grand scheme of things, spending $500-700 on a computer that will be replaced in 3 years isn't really that much money. Nice things cost money.

And let me put in a good word for Asus -- after about 30 homebuilds I've never had a single problem with them, and the extra money spent buying Asus buys a better product (their newer motherboards use really nice conductive polymer caps, e.g.). No, I don't work for them.

I have, OTOH, replaced 2 Gigabyte mainboards and 1 EpoX with leaky caps that were acting fruity.
August 17, 2007 11:05:13 PM

3-5 Years for a PC isn't so bad. If an $800 pc lasted 5 years; thats about $160 for every year you used it.
Also...there is NO such thing as a future "proof" motherboard. I prefer the term future "resistent". Sure you can wait and buy the X38, have your 1333mhz fsb, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 slots, and what not...
But in 3 years people might be on a 1600mhz fsb, PCI-E 4.0, and DDR4. Heck, in 5 years Intel might have integrated memory controllers (omg!) Who knows? Your best bet is you just buy what suits you and stick to an upgrade plan.
August 18, 2007 7:51:42 AM

taboo,

wen u say upgrade that won't be possible, since I will have to update my motherboard, and usually when I do that, the CPU will also be replaced as well. It's the same for my current PC, except the 300 PSU W won't cut it for the bigger video cards, I believe. (Geforce 7 or 8 series, along with 2 hard drives, 2 dvd players, and many usb devices).

Thanks for your help. I have decided there is no point in buying a futureproof pc. I will decide to purchase a computer for today, but with 45nm support.
a c 136 V Motherboard
August 18, 2007 12:22:43 PM

yes it does , at least asus P35 boards :
http://xbitlabs.com/news/mainboards/display/20070817093...

Note that these limitations have been revealed only for the Blitz mainboard series that uses CrossLinx chip. Other Asus mainboards on Intel P35 chipset should have no problems with PCI Express 2.0 graphics cards support.
!