How long will the Intel 775 socket last and other CPU questions

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
As the topic says, how long will the 775 socket last? I know it is being used for the core2duos, and the core2 quads, but what about the 8 cores? Will it be good for the long run, or should I wait a bit before purchasing a motherboard?

Also, what would you recommend, to buy a core 2 duo now, or to wait until the core2quads drop. And how long will the wait be?

I want to buy a PC but I don't want to make the same mistake as last time, where I bought an Asus P5P800 AGP motherboard. A month later, PCI-e came out and I was so pissed...

Thanks

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

The Socket 775 has already lasted over 2 years. It will last on Intel motherboards for at least another year. There will be a new socket once the next generation core comes out at the end of 2008. If you need a new motherboard there is now reason not to buy one right now unless you want an extreme series board then I would wait until the X38 chipset boards come out.

The Core 2 Quads have already dropped in price the Q6600 was $530 and now you can buy it for around $290. The X38 chipset supports the new PCIe 2.0 specification. That will future proof you for video cards for a long while. It is also backwards compatible with PCIe 1.0a specification too.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Hay my P5P800's are still treating me well...

I would think the 775 socket will be around for a while, intel are only just going to 45nm which is still on the 775 socket.

Q6600's are cheap now which is one of the better buys, especially OCing.

8 Core you will be waiting while.

IMO get the Q6600 now and be happy with a board that you can upgrade to a 45nm when they come out.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Socket 775 will be good until Intel releases their new Nehalem architecture in about a year, which will probably have a new socket as it has an integrated memory controller on CPU. There is nothing huge on the horizon to wait for unless AMD can make Phenom/Barcelona significantly beat Core2Quads, and I doubt it will be that big of a performance gap between them. The Q6600 is pretty cheap now, so I go ahead and buy that and wouldn't look back.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Generally my experience with intel processors, it's not the socket that's the problem, it's the compatibility. Like with the first HT equipped processors, they were all Socket 478, but you couldn't fit it on a board that doesn't support HT. And also with the Pentium D series boards, they were all LGA 775 but you need to check if your board has updated VRM's before you could insert a Core 2. And the most recent one, even though your board supports Core 2, and a 1333MHz FSB you still need to double-check if the board has the capability to support Core 2 Quads.

If you buy an LGA 775 board today, in probably a year's time you wouldn't be able to stick in the new processor intel made because something about the board changed again. The socket should actually be the least of your concerns.

About the purchase on a Duo or a Quad, it really depends on your usage. If you mainly play games, a Duo is fine. If you do a lot of production work (video editing, 3d rendering, image editing, etc) then Quad could be for you. But probably in around 6 months time, some of the new games will start to utilize 4 cores. But considering also if you have a crappy vid card, even if you got 8 cores then the game would still be slow/crappy looking as hell.

djkrypplephite

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
until nehalem. the IMC version is going to have a pin count of like 1375 or something.

edit: http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32624/135/

1366 is the pin count

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
there's going to be 2 new sockets for nehalem, Socket B will be LGA1366 and Socket H will be LGA715. Socket B is for the server versions with integrated memory controller, Socket H is the desktop version without IMC.

crazlunatic

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

I just went to the website and it seems that they say PCI-e comes out Q4 2006? howcome

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

??? Well any hardware than will last for 3-4 years "can" be used for 3-4 years. I used my old socked A amd for a good 3 years b4 upgrading to whats in my sig. There is NO, 'NONE", "NADA" hardware out today that will be considered anything higher than "low end" in 4 years.

If your on a budget just get something like in my sig using as many of your old components as possible. ie drives, case, power. you can get the upgrade in my sig for $600 maybe less nowadays. If you can Ebay off your current hardware you then will bring that out-of-pocket expense down to little over half of that maybe. $400-700 every couple years aint so bad. And!! overclocked, my lowly E4300 will soundly beat a stock extreme X6800 system. But I would suggest a E6850 or something for better OC'ability.

Otherwise, to stay remotely current you "WILL" have to upgrade every other year or soo. Not necessarily everything at once, but a CPU here, a mobo there, so on and so fourth. Thats just a fact of life in the increasingly rapid pace of computer developement.