WARNING K9N Neo V3 and add-on RAID controller

salmagundi

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Just a note in case anybody is thinking of substituting a REAL RAID card in their system. I have been told by MSI Tech support that it absolutely cannot be done. Even if you disable the BIOS sata controller.

This is incredibly annoying, I'm going to have to return the mobo, and sell my CPU on ebay because I bought that at Directron and it's too late now. So much for supporting AMD...that got me screwed. Has ANYBODY out there gotten ANY socket AM2 mobo to work with ANY real RAID controller? I'd be happy at this point if I could at least keep the CPU but it appears - based on vendor compat. lists at Adaptec, Highpoint, etc. that there is no AM2 system that supports external RAID.

salmagundi

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
In case anybody else is to go down this road, I got a reply from 3ware that the Asus M2N32-SLI deluxe and Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 are known to work with the their 9650SE card. I'm probably going to try the cheaper Gigabyte. Hopefully even it is isn't part of the "Durable" line they've sorted out their problems with capacitors and I can count on the board not failing in a year or two.