BEst CAse For GAming!!!!!

Cpt_wuggles

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
thermaltake Armour vs Antec 900 vs antec p180b

what is the best out of these 3???? i whant one with a side window. Good air flow and plenty of space. And to look good. if the p180b is so freaking good beyond belif as some say it is.. i might get it.. even though it has no window. plus... i can get one for under $80 bucks. :D

if you have any other cases to recomend your more than welcome to suggest a case!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I really don't like the doors on the Armor and depending on what you want to put in it the P180 might be a little small. I would suggest the 900 of the 3 it's relatively inexpensive and large with great airflow. That said they are all good cases it's really a matter of personal preferance as to which is the best for you. My case the CM Stacker RC-832 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119121 is great but for some it's too expensive, it really just depends on what you want.

bloodline

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Hi, I've built systems since 1996 and seen about every case design you could think of... really in my opinion high end cases perform roughly on par with each other thermally (marketing!cough cough) and really what matters is what you expect out of it. The last system I built I used a Thermaltake XaserII5000a top of the line at the time and I thought it was fantastic. It was big and flashy and had a side cutout, lights, whole 9 yards. That was before I decided to try out a Lian Li pc60IIa plus, I really don't think of myself as a fanboy but this thing really is fantastic. The Thermaltake has more room and more fans but they are smaller and make alot more noise. The Lian Li is not exceptionally cramped exactly but I would say it was designed to be efficient and with flow in mind. Things go where they go and that's how it is. I was able to fit a Thermaltake V1 cooler(tall!) and a nvidia 8800 (looong) in there easily so don't get the wrong impression, it just doesn't waste any space. The thing that really makes me recommend it to you though is it's practically bulletproof and has bushels of thumbscrews. This is the best built and intelligently designed case I've ever used hands down and it's practically tool-less and all brushed aluminum which is just cool. I guess you can tell I like it :pt1cable:

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Well I have been working with computers from the 80's,worked many years with office building AC,cooling towers and related airflow issues as well as 25 years moding high power 2-way radios and those cooling issues.

Coolermaster C-5's or the older Coolermaster Stacker TO-1 cases (depends on how large you want a case) either one with exit fan grills removed and the HD cage mounted inline with the exit fan (TO-1 case) give the best airflow paterns and lowest temps over any of the newer "nicer" looking cases with alot of fans.

I build OC game systems and have put together 100's for people over the past 6-7 years as "extra money".

The system listed in my build icon at top of page runs 3C over room temps and only hits 12C after an hour of Prime benchmarking...on air with a 50% OC and stock volts for everything.
That build is 18 months old but I expect it to run all new games for the next 4-5 years more with no problems.
I won't upgrade (myself) unless some part of it dies befor then.

Z

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
900 is too small in my opinion, i like the thermaltake armor it is very good build quality, big and just overall super nice. Though i do suggest you also get the side fan with it

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Of the higher-quality cases I've had a few lian-li's and one CM Stacker 830. I love the stacker, It's huge, great airflow, looks great, practically tool less, and a breeze to work with. There is nothing I didn't like about the CM Stacker.

The last Lian-Li I've used was a PC-60. Love this case almost as much as the stacker. It's very well planned out and very easy to work with. It came with a large plexi window on the side. (great for showing off :)) It's just a really nice case.

The CM Stacker 830 has the advantage as it has built in handles that fit perfectly into case so it should be easier to take to LAN's.

Depends on your budget I guess, and it's very much based on opinion. Personally I suggest either a Lian-Li or one of the CM Stackers.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
"Depends on your budget I guess"

Not really.
It depends only on what -you- want for a case.

I build out for those who want preformance and the older TO-1 Stacker cools better then the newer models do due to the airflow pattern.

Most newer case seem to target people that think more fans are better cooling and that is not how things work.

The system in my build cools as well as a non-chilled water system with 1 intake and 1 exit fan (other than the top blow hole fan that moves almost no air) simply becuase of airflow pattern and the removed exit fan grill and fan upgrade.

What cools best on air is a direct flow pattern from intake>hot areas>exit with as little swirling/mixing inside as you can manage.
Any case with large or multi side fans works against this basic fact of pneumatic law.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Some really high RPM's shown on those fans.

What temp over room air are you running idle/Prime benchmarked and what CPU cooler are you using?

I like the "older" Thermalright SI-120/121 becuse of the way they are set up and also cool the ram/pwmic and other MB parts at the same time over the newer tower versions even given that extra 1-2C CPU cooling.

As you can see CPU cooling is not an issue with my builds for people and $100's less than water systems.
Also moving to PC Power & Cooling for a PSU and DFI MB's give me way higher OC's and without a voltage boost.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Long live socket 939!
Even if you build out a new system today they keep up with the "top dog" and for $100(s) less.

I always build out with 939 socket Optrons still given the price vrs performance and given that I overclock the builds for customers when ever I can unless they insist otherwise on another product.

I also aways point out the benefits of using a PC Power & Cooling PSU and DFI MB along with case and Thermalright coolers/Silverstone fans.

Everone that comes to me is either a repeat or refered customer as I have not worked in a shop for a few years anyhow altho I do still take work from shops that want multi builds for computer xpo's at Uni's.

The 50% overclocked CPU in my build icon was only $69 last time I picked up a batch and the DFI Expert MB was only $80.

Fast DDR1 ram in 2 X's 1GB sticks is getting harder to find...sad as it puts the fastest DDR2 to shame in Read/Write/Copy accross the board.

PC Power & Cooling 750's were $169 dirrect from the company (call them and talk to a Tech to order) and about the best PSU on the planet and given the same ram/cpu/mb as other people have they always provided me with higher overclocks and without a voltage boost to do so.
All PSU's are not the same and they are the most important part of a build!