odd fsb speeds

gerruti

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I was wondering if you can set the fsb to something like 1398 instead of 1333. If not why, why does it have to be these certain sets of numbers. I have an asus p5n32-sli premium, e6600, and g skill 800 mhz ram. I have the e6600 OC'ed to 3.0 and would like to get it to 3.2. I can't get it to 3.2 unless I have some sort of odd fsb because my motherboard doesnt like my change the multiplier. So any comments, suggestions.

Yes, you can change the FSB. For your 3.2 target with an E6600, at the stock 9x CPU multiplier, you are looking a 355 Mhz (baseline setting)on the front side bus: 3.2/9 = .355 Know that you are almost certainly also overlocking your memory at the same time. You'll need to check which divider you are running. I'm not familiar with your board's Bios, but I know mine shows you what the resultant should be. So if you don't know exactly which divider you want, you can play with it a little until you see what you think you need. That may be the case with yours as well.

I am guessing your point on not being able to "change" the CPU multiplier is because your mobo won't allow you to *increase* the CPU multiplier . This is because it is locked on the CPU you have. For Intel, only an "Extreme" processor has an unlocked multiplier. But you almost certainly should be able to lower it. Therefore another combination to get you to the same place would be to lower the CPU multi to 8, and set the FSB to 400 Mhz. 3.2/8 = .400 This option has the theoretical advantage of running 1:1 with DDR2 800 memory (400Mhz x 2 channels). I am currently running this setting on my Quad, and am happy with the results.

gerruti

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Yeah I wanted to get a 1:1 ratio but, my motherboard does not give me the option to lower or higher the multiplier. Unless I am blind and have passed it 100 times while looking for it. If any else knows how to lower the multiplier please fill me in because I can't find it.