Sign in with
Your question

SATA II drive fails to detect on IDE HD based windows XP system

Last response: in Storage
November 29, 2007 12:10:58 PM

i have recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB SATA II hard drive to use as a secondary drive on my windows XP system. I've managed to connect up the leads as advised on various webpages that i have visited.
I already have an IDE hard drive on the system which is the master drive on the computer.
however my SATA drive does not seem to be detected by the machine at all for some reason. this is the first time i am installin g a second hard drive on a computer so am new to these problems.

my motherboard is an ASUS a7v8x which supports SATA drives so i dont know where i've gone wrong. anybody able to help will be very much appreciated.
November 29, 2007 12:28:13 PM

Did you go into the BIOS and enable the SATA ports? I had to do that with my ASUS A8V-SLI motherboard.
November 29, 2007 1:09:31 PM

Beside that you also have to install a driver from VIA. I don't remember what it is as I sold mine long ago, it has the same chipset.
Related resources
November 29, 2007 1:43:25 PM

When you get a factory new drive and connect it to a computer running XP, you need to enable and format the drive in disk management. Not sure if its the same in VISTA. This assumes your BIOS is correct.

See if the new drive shows up in disk management. If it shows up there all you need to do is enable it, assign a volume letter and format

control panel>administrative tools>computer management

disk management shows up on the left under storage

November 30, 2007 6:44:28 AM

i tried going into the disk management after connecting the hard drive. nothing other than my original hard drive shows up on there.
how will i be able to go about trying to enable the SATA ports in the BIOS? anybody able to help? thank you.
December 1, 2007 2:10:37 PM

i have a similar problem. i have a SATA master drive and i want to put in an IDE slave. when i connect it the bios recognises it but xp doesnt. the ide drive is set to slave. any ideas?
a b G Storage
December 1, 2007 3:50:53 PM

Check your BIOS settings
December 1, 2007 4:37:20 PM

bilalahmed786 said:
i have recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB SATA II hard drive to use as a secondary drive on my windows XP system. I've managed to connect up the leads as advised on various webpages that i have visited.
I already have an IDE hard drive on the system which is the master drive on the computer.
however my SATA drive does not seem to be detected by the machine at all for some reason. this is the first time i am installin g a second hard drive on a computer so am new to these problems.

my motherboard is an ASUS a7v8x which supports SATA drives so i dont know where i've gone wrong. anybody able to help will be very much appreciated.

Your chipset is older for an Athalon XP? I had a Barton 2500+ XP on an NForce 2 board, that I had some similar problems with. To add a SATA disk-drive for Windows I had to use a floppy disk that installed the drivers in DOS. This floppy said that it was some sort of SATA-Raid drivers or something, it came with the board. I think I had to boot with the Windows XP installation disc and hit F6 (?) at the appropriate time. No, you do not need to reformat or reinstall windows!

I think thuan is right, you need the right drivers. Have you checked the motherboards support web page? The downloads section should have everything you need.
December 2, 2007 2:17:49 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Check your BIOS settings

what should my bios settins look like. it has dectected it as a slave
December 2, 2007 3:17:19 PM

To clear the air on something that I think some people are unclear on: There are no master/slave issues with SATA. Even though they may be labeled as such in some bios, it makes no difference. The ONLY way it effects the system is when booting, it'll take the master on the controller first then the slave (but usually you can set it however you like).

With that out of the way,

naidoort:
If your drive is being recognized by the bios it is a good sign. Find the proper drivers for your board and your problem should be solved.

bilalahmed786:
You should check your motherboard manual for information on how to enable them, but I'll assure you its probably quite simple. If they're already enabled, they should have detected your drive. If your drive was not detected, it may be that your chipset is older and is not compatible with the newer SATA specs. If so, you may want to check for BIOS updates from the manufacturer to see if they've become compatible with a later revision.

Lets hope that worked... If it did, install your drivers in Windows for the SATA ports, they'll be found on the manufacturer's website, and your drive should be automatically recognized, installed, and given a drive letter. Good Luck!
December 3, 2007 5:05:51 PM

elpresidente2075 said:
To clear the air on something that I think some people are unclear on: There are no master/slave issues with SATA. Even though they may be labeled as such in some bios, it makes no difference. The ONLY way it effects the system is when booting, it'll take the master on the controller first then the slave (but usually you can set it however you like).

With that out of the way,

naidoort:
If your drive is being recognized by the bios it is a good sign. Find the proper drivers for your board and your problem should be solved.

bilalahmed786:
You should check your motherboard manual for information on how to enable them, but I'll assure you its probably quite simple. If they're already enabled, they should have detected your drive. If your drive was not detected, it may be that your chipset is older and is not compatible with the newer SATA specs. If so, you may want to check for BIOS updates from the manufacturer to see if they've become compatible with a later revision.

Lets hope that worked... If it did, install your drivers in Windows for the SATA ports, they'll be found on the manufacturer's website, and your drive should be automatically recognized, installed, and given a drive letter. Good Luck!

Thanks for your help. I'm running an MSI 945G Neo 2 mainboard, and have checked the website and have all the neccesary drivers. Dunno what else to do!
December 3, 2007 5:46:38 PM

If it shows in Bios it should show in Disk management. If it does its real easy to activate it.
December 3, 2007 6:54:27 PM

I have an old asus nf2 mobo and I had to enable the sata controller with a jumper on the mobo. This jumper is located near the sata ports on my mobo.
!