Upgrading my PSU

Baiken

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
... and a few other things along with it, I'm changing out my Motherboard to a Gigabyte GA P35CD53R, GPU to an 8800 GTS 640 MB XFX, CPU to a Intel Core 2 Duo E6850, and my cranky old Hard Drive to a 250GB Western Digital SATA II 16MB.

However my old PSU won't cut it I think @ only 430W, and apparently I need a 500W just for the new GPU :p So I've been researching some of them but I have no real experience with PSU's so I'm coming to the best place I know to ask for some advice.

Thanks for the help.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
This link and the links from it have all the info, including PSU rankings, all you need when deciding on a new PSU. It's a long read, and some of the links are long reads to, but it's worth it. I didn't like the latest Toms PSU article, its a bit..... well lame.

click here

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
First off a simple 'wattage need' is not the way to pick a PSU. You need to know the amps for each setction that are served.

Now that that is out of the way I see you have a high end system in mind. Having been into computers and radio for close to 30 years I would say look at a PC Power & Cooling PSU.
If you call the company and ask for a Tech he will sell you a real/honest 750 for $169.

These PSU's are the best make hands down and are each oven tested @ 50C under full 100% load to put out amps/volts/watts and dead flat readings on an osilascope and constant power rated.
All other brand PSU's are only surge rated and @ 25C air temps and thier voltages often just hold under the min on a scope while under load.

I use them in my builds and given the same cpu/ram/mb get higher overclocks than others -without- bothering to rasie votages over stock settings others report having done so.

Look at the 18 month old build in my profile...50% OC which is one of many I put together and give the extra gain credit to this brand of PSU.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

I forgot to add these are real single rail non-modular PSU's and you get 100% of all the power without any loss like multi-rail modular units are subject to suffer and carry a full 5 year warrenty.
At warrenty end contact a company Tech to replace the caps and fan for another 5 years.