Turning my laptop into a desktop

theklag

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Ok first thing you might say is why do that? Well I have an Area 51m that has done nothing but overheat from the time i bought it three years ago. The warranty just expired and after countless calls to tech support and visits from their repair guys it still would run about 10 minutes before over heating.

So since its still a pretty nice computer 3.4 ghz and 1 gig of ram, i figured i'd try and modify it into a desktop with some extra cooling and it might once again work. I bought a Black Enlight Slim/Low case and have modified it enough to get the motherboard of my laptop into it. The case comes with a drawer from a slim cd-rom that I would like to use. Only issue is that the connection for the cdrom to the mother board does not line up with the drawer. So I need a cable to connect the two, but i have been unable to find such a think and the folks at the local build your own computer store are more then worthless since they tell me they don't do laptops. All i have been able to find in the way of cables are conversions boards and cables to connect a laptop cdrom to a desktop mother board.

So all in all, I need a cable to connect a slim laptop cdrom drive to a laptop mother board. Any help here would be most appreciated.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
As far as I know laptops use a proprietary connector, and unfortunately I don't think you're gonna find such a cable.

I'm curious as to why you didn't mod the laptop for better cooling rather than tearing the whole thing apart.

theklag

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
No longer needed the mobility of the laptop, (not that was very mobile to begin with, thing has to weigh 15lbs with the power supply) and various other efforts to get the cooling to work, cleaning fans, reapplying thermal paste, and using a chill mat, just wouldn't seem to work.

So like many other things in my life, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

theklag

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
Probably true, and if Colt 45 didn't make such a delicious malt beverage for our parents to enjoy i'm sure that most of us wouldn't be here today, but alas all of that is in the past and doesn't really matter now.

Any ideas on the cable? I can drop it into a external shell, but that won't look nearly as nice.