Standard Thermal Tape on GPU MOSFET's or use MX-2 Paste?

gamehostingreviews

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
New computer building time!

Worklog here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1217452

Thermal Paste to be used in rig:

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/further_prod2.php?idx=140

This paste has won several awards, even supposedly topping the excellent AS5. Be that as it may, one of the reasons I went with it is that it does NOT contain any metals in it, making it safe for use around tight spots where leads or other nasties might get in the way. Suffice it to say it sounds like a dummy proof goop.

After reading several articles suggesting that you can seriously reduce your GPU temps by applying after-market thermal paste I decided to open up my MSI 8800 GTS 640 Overclocked Edition:

DSCN4731.JPG

As you can see from the picture, there's the standard gray thermal paste on the GPU core itself, plus there's small slabs of a thermal paste tape on the card's MOSFETs. I took the tape off just to see what it was make out of and it appears to be a fibrous and creamy texture.

DSCN4733.JPG

While most modders highly recommend putting the after-market goop on the GPU core, I've heard little about putting a non-conductive paste like MX-2 directly on the MOSFETS. My real question is, do you think it is best to use the standard tape gunk that came with the card or should I lather on a swab of MX2 for each of the chips? Has anyone tried this before?

As you can see from the product page, the MX2 is non-corrosive, non-conductive and non-capacitive. By all accounts it should be fine, correct? If so, do you think I should apply approximately the same amount of gunk to match what MSI had or did they use too little/much? Thanks for your input. :pt1cable:

G

hi, from my experience with this card the mx2 it-s not sufficient thick to fill the gap between the memory and cooler, in my case i used the akasha thermal pad...even that being too thin...I find a solution to cut some hard plastic in small round shape ..drill a hole and put them on cooler screw to tighten more. In conclusion I don't notice so much change in temps...