Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Performance
  • Power Consumption
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2007 2:58:01 PM

As far as I'm concernced, Anandtech is the written word. "only a 3-6% increase in performance, overclocking wise and better power consumption".

Yes, B0 is better than its parent, but all the hype has come to an end. Im disappointed.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

More about : q6600 disappoints

August 17, 2007 3:12:50 PM

I've never heard of a B0 stepping, G0 perhaps :sol: 
August 17, 2007 4:06:24 PM

homerdog said:
I've never heard of a B0 stepping, G0 perhaps :sol: 

darn, you beat me to it. I figured as much though with my B3, but I have been able to coax it up to 3.5Ghz stable so I'm happy, who needs G0.... ;) 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 17, 2007 4:17:48 PM

But again, they are testing a Single Chip on a Single Motherboard.
As others state, YMMV but it's an improvement.

I also wager if you compare the G0 to say a B2, you will see an even bigger difference.
August 17, 2007 5:43:03 PM

fishboi said:
As far as I'm concernced, Anandtech is the written word. "only a 3-6% increase in performance, overclocking wise and better power consumption".

Yes, B0 is better than its parent, but all the hype has come to an end. Im disappointed.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx...

With someone who can't even get the stepping right, and an under-informed title, its a little hard to convince others your neutrality in this.

First of all, G0 was never supposed to be a vastly superior stepping than B3. It was supposed to lower power consumption, heat dissipation, and slightly better in overclock. It basically lived up to its hype, as far as most users are concerned. After all, its still a Q6600.

I don't know what was your expectation for the new stepping, nor do i care. But posting something like this in the title is quite misleading. Next time when you're posting something like this, try title it "Q6600 G0 stepping review", which informs the readers about your thread's purpose. THEN you can add in your opinion in your post.
August 17, 2007 6:17:42 PM

That's why B0 has been replaced with B1 then B2 then B3!
August 17, 2007 6:37:06 PM

Interesting to see the first rigorous comparison here. Given all the hype around G0 stepping, getting some empirical data is useful, even if it's only a comparison on one rig (w/2 different steppings of Q6600).

Most relevant and interesting point had to do with their analysis of Load while Idle, although, even there, other variables factor in. Given the power savings they cite were about half of what Intel cited, it does suggest that the AMD Marketing guys aren't the only one willing to play a little optimistic with the truth in hopes of pumping up their sales (as w/AMD, they don't lie--just hide the important facts in small details many folks don't have the time to research!).

Don't want to turn this into an AMD-vs-Intel Fanboy War, but anybody who trusts in a brand name for its own sake is either silly or (more likely) looking in the wrong place for something to believe in...

As with any free market exercise, it's always about "buyer beware"!
August 17, 2007 11:47:21 PM

bfellow said:
That's why B0 has been replaced with B1 then B2 then B3!

There was never a productized B0 or B1 Conroe. Conroe launch on the B2 stepping and the Kentsfield launch on the B3 stepping.
August 18, 2007 7:35:14 AM

lol what a joke there is big drop in temps
August 18, 2007 7:57:58 AM

wait the G0 stepping dosnt raise it to 4 Ghz. my god. lol!

The reason it should impress you is that you get the 3-6 percent increase for the same price at a lower temp with better oc., how does that not impress? Price/Performance anyone
August 18, 2007 8:57:48 AM

He bought into the hype and expected some kind of huge difference, but I live in the real world.
August 19, 2007 4:17:38 AM

If you live in the real world then what world do i live in 0_o

soo... many steppings i think it hardly matters much because you never know what stepping the retailer is giving you.
August 19, 2007 5:10:17 AM

Xazax310 said:
If you live in the real world then what world do i live in 0_o

soo... many steppings i think it hardly matters much because you never know what stepping the retailer is giving you.
You do if you go to Clubit.com. I got three G0 6600s. Let me tell you the G0 OCs like crazy. I have one running 4.6G with no heatsink whatsoever installed. :sol:  Top That. :lol: 
August 19, 2007 5:50:09 AM

Zorg said:
You do if you go to Clubit.com. I got three G0 6600s. Let me tell you the G0 OCs like crazy. I have one running 4.6G with no heatsink whatsoever installed. :sol:  Top That. :lol: 

Heh. Got mine stable at stock speeds at -1.5v :pt1cable:  I'm getting free power!
August 19, 2007 7:41:54 AM

That review doesn't correspond with what people are able to achieve all over forums. I've seen so many 4Ghz on air from G0's that I am considering that Anandtech might have gotten the worst chip of the bunch. I've seen complete n00bs on Xtreem forums OCing G0 to 3.6 Ghz with air while they didn't know how to tell the difference between it and B3 10 mins ago.

- No 2 chips are exactly the same
I write: (I am richer then Bill Gates)..

- Not everything written is true.

Damn I wish I was wrong for once... :bounce: 

- A review that contradicts a huge amount of post all over the net shouldn't be taken at face value and is to be reexamined.

of cause not everyone will be able to achieve a 4Ghz with their chips but I expect an average G0 overclock to be higher then Anandtech's review.
!