Sign in with
Your question

Will running PC 24x7 hurt performance ?

Last response: in CPUs
August 17, 2007 5:35:41 PM

Hi,

I am running a server that acts as the proxy server for other pc's on the network. This server runs all day, every day. I have been noticing some strange performance issues lately. The proxy server returns error message that it was unable to find the host(like say google.com) of that url. It behaves normally again after few minutes, without doing anything. More strange, is that while its refusing to connect for certain client pc's on the network, the other client pc's on network work fine. That makes me wonder if i should switch off the server while its not in use. Will doing so increase the performance of the server. The switch, modem and other networking equipment are on all the time. Should i switch off them also. Or is it nothing to do with hardware. I am using a 24-port switch & all but one port is in use. Will adding more switch to network increase performance?
August 17, 2007 5:50:23 PM

What operating system are you using for your proxy server? Windows isn't really known for running reliable for extended periods.

I would also check you internet router. This can cause havok as far as reliability. I know Dlink's are notorias for needing to be reset every few days. Also check you internet modem. When the you notice that the issue arises, check to see if the modem is offline.
August 17, 2007 6:57:22 PM

rmicro1 said:
What operating system are you using for your proxy server? Windows isn't really known for running reliable for extended periods.

I would also check you internet router. This can cause havok as far as reliability. I know Dlink's are notorias for needing to be reset every few days. Also check you internet modem. When the you notice that the issue arises, check to see if the modem is offline.

I am using fedora core 6 (LInux) as operating system. I am using squid as the proxy server on top fc6. There is no special router between modem , the gateway machine & the switch & rest of pc's. The modem is connected to eth0 of gateway machine & eth1 of gateway goes to switch. From switch the rest of the pc's are connected. There are some iptables rules set in gateway. Dlink is the switch we use.
Related resources
August 21, 2007 11:24:47 AM

Probably a software issue, but there is a phenomeon of 'heat-build-up'.
A hifi-magazine here in Sweden once set 10 cd-players on repeat and let them run.
All broke eventually (longest: 2years) and the reason was determined as heat buildup in the power part.
August 21, 2007 11:54:35 AM

rmicro1 said:

Strange.. :o  maybe I am lucky? I have been running my Dlink router 24/7 for 2,5 years now. Only switched it off when going on extended holidays. I did flash its bios immediately after buying it, before the first configuration.

Never had any problems with stability..
a b à CPUs
August 21, 2007 1:20:34 PM

Been runing a server for over a year straight now:

P4 2.66
512mb DDR
SiS/Aopen motherboard (all i had at the time)
GF2 MX400 AGP Video Card
2x250gb IDE Raid1
2x320gb IDE Raid1
Windows Server 2003

No issues to report, i don't touch the thing. It acts as a domain server, dhcp server, router, file server and download server, been rock solid for a long time now.
August 21, 2007 1:29:40 PM

all of my pc's run 24/7/365 , 6 of them.
August 22, 2007 2:25:52 AM

I never turn off my laptop, it runs XP (crashes every couple days) but with linux you should be able to leave your system on all the time
August 22, 2007 3:11:14 AM

If you are running windows you should reboot it and install the updates from time to time.

Also dust may be building up in the system and you need to clean it out.

Also not being able to find the host may be a ISP error that comes and go SBC DSL has been doing that a few times over the last few days.
August 22, 2007 3:31:31 AM

the hardest part of any electronic devices day is turning it one and off!

i run many of mine computers 24/7 - higher end gaming systems suck up so much juice i put those to s3 sleep!
!