googleads

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
My computer is restarting on me. It did it twice today. Here are my specs

680i Mobo
2GB DDR2 RAM
X1600 Pro
q6600 CPU

I set the fan switch on the back of my pc to high. I downloaded this program called speedfan. Here are my results from when I have nothing running

System: 18C
CPU: 43C
AUX: 29C (whats AUX?)
HD0: 33c
Core0: 32c
Core1: 32c
Core2: 32c
Core3: 32c

Here are the results when im running a game demo(unreal Tournament 3)
System: 32c
CPU:52C (flame Icon beside this)
AUX: 29C
HD0: 34c
Core0: 46Cc
Core1: 46c
Core2: 47c
Core3: 47c

What should I do? My pc is new. I just put it together a few weeks ago!

akhilles

Splendid
What's the specs? What's the cpu & case cooling? What's the ambient room temp? The ones from weather reports are fine. i.e. if the city temp is 32'c, then your cpu temp will be higher than 32'c. I'd say about 10'c higher. Your temps sound right for a stock cpu cooler in semi-warm weather.

googleads

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
im using stock everything. The heatsink that came with the cpu.

I have a Antec P180 with the fans turned on high. The PC is in the basement where it is cool.

I checked out core temp

here are my results from core temp

core 0:54
Core 1:54
Core 2:59
Core 3:57

googleads

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2007
I looked at the picture. I can make out that there are silver showing on the push pins of that picture

I looked at mine and I only see black. They must be down all the way

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
OK...a few things to clear up here...

1) What power supply are you using? This is VERY important to track for a quad core processor, as they put a lot higher load on any of the rails they are pulling from.

2) Your core temps don't really look too high (according to Speedfan), but did you take into account that Speedfan can underreport core temps by 15° on Intel Core2 CPUs? I will have to go back and research to see if this is the case, and if so, your machine should be speed-throttling rather than shutting down. If your processor is overheating, definitely pull the HSF, clean the thermal interface grease and reapply and remount the HSF. Remember to use the grease sparingly, since you only want it to fill in the gaps between your HSF and chip, not provide the entire thermal interface.

3) If you built this system yourself, did you manage your cabling inside the case to give the best airflow for all your components? Are there enough case fans in your case for the amount of heat your system needs to dissipate?

If you are running everything at stock, and your HSF is fully seated and you have provided for adequate ventilation into a cool room, then you should not be experiencing any heat problems.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
those temps arent bad at all even at 53 + 15 = 68, your cpu would throttle, not shut down. i am with houndsteeth's #1 you PSU.

you should have i would roughly say 25Amps on your 12V rails. thats a low guess. x1600s arent huge power hogs.

what are you doing when this reboot occurs? are you gaming or just idle? what does it do when it reboots? does it hang with sound repeating last second then reboot, or does it just *BOOM* black screen reboot?
-either case can point to psu
-but the latter point directly @ the PSU.

the q6600 is very tempermental when it comes to clean stable power. if your vcore drops or fluctuates ever so slightly, you get atleast a hard lock. I know from experience, check my config on the left(under more informations). when i get to 3.4-3.5ghz my PSU is operating at 100% load and if i try to hardcore game, that vcore will drop hard, and boom hard-lock with immediate reboot.

mennovh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I had a similar problem with an older system of mine. I had it for about 2 years and the things started rebooting on me out of no where. The temps on everything were fine. It worked soemtimes for hours and sometimes it would reboot every few min on me. Only reason I know it was the psu is cause eventually it burned out my board. I was lucky it was an old system so if i were you i would get a quality psu for that good equipment you have. Just look up the teir listing of psu's and get one that fits your needs.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Just to test something here. Right click "My Computer" > Click the "Advanced Tab" > Click "Settings" under "Startup and Recovery" > Make sure the box "Automatically Restart" is not checked. Apply the settings. Now you'll bluescreen and get an error before the restart. (Assuming it's not a power issue - in which case you'll get no warning at all and just reboot)

If you get no error next time your computer restarts... I'm 99.999% sure it's a PSU or Mobo problem. (Just had this issue with an employee last week at work)

BTW - If it was an overheating problem, your won't reboot. Your computer will shutdown and not come back on until you tell it to. Just FYI.