rvn176

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
As the charts show Pentium Dual Core E2160 overcomes most Pentium D 9xx models in terms of performance in applications like pinnacle studio,iTunes and... but i cant understand why?!!! 2160 has only 1mg cache while D 9xx series have 2mg and also are more expensive than 2160 !

+ i have heard that because of our softwares (which are not written for multi core CPUs), the dual cores cant show their best performance and mostly only 1 processor is handling the task and they believe that the overall performance mostly depends on system's RAM and not the CPU ! offcourse the toms hardware's charts dont show this, so im realy confused !!!

is it better for me to have a dual core like E2160 or a normal P4 ? i can buy E2160 and P4 641 (3.2Ghz/2mg cache) at the same price.

The E2160 is based on the much better Core architecture (like the Core 2 Duo) whereas the Pentium Ds are NetBurst (Pentium 4.) The Core is much faster and more efficient, hence less clock speed and cache needed for similar performance. Go with the E2160 unless you need a furnace; in that case, there's a Pentium D 840EE with your name on it.