Possible problem with q6600

laserspewpew

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Recently got a new processor, the q6600. Its not overclocked yet, but Speedfan is giving me some high temp ratings. I just have this internet browser open, and these are the results im getting:

Temp1: 59C
temp2: 50
Temp3: -2C
Core 0 : 55C
Core 1: 54 C
core2: 50C
core 3: 48C

Theres like little flames next to them, so i figure these numbers are too high? Also, I get the core temps, but what are Temp1-3 referring to?

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Hey Laserspewpew - your name looks familiar. Do you play CSS on DOP Hightimes? As for your temps, they look a little high. Are you using stock cooling? I just built a Q6600 PC and I used a Thermalright Ultra extreme 120 heatsink. My idle temps are approximately 42 c on all 4 cores using Core Temp with an ambient of 26 c. I tried Speed Fan but the reported temps were approx. 15 c less than what Core Temp reported. I have heard that there is a 15 c margin using Speed Fan to report Q6600 temps. I am running XP 64 and Core Temp works fine so it might also work in Vista. Another good program is Everest. See you on HighTimes.

laserspewpew

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
Yes, I am using stock cooling. And if the same is happening to me, where the actual temps are 15 degrees higher, that would suck cuz i would be over 65C when idle.

I want to OC this sucker, but if the temps are this high with stock settings, I don't think I'll go very far.

Oh, and I do play CSS, but not sure about server. I play randomly, so it might as well be someone else.

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Hit control-alt-delete and bring up the "Task Manager"..take a look at the CPU usage, just to make sure you have no problems with any program running in a loop, as that will increase CPU usage, and drive higher temps..you might also try reseating the CPU heatsink...also, what is the ambient room temperature where your computer is? Goodluck