Sign in with
Your question

Power supply Question (important, plz help)

Last response: in Components
August 17, 2007 10:24:32 PM

Hi all, I just bought a Thermaltake toughpower cable management (W0106) to replace an 500W Antec for my main PC. I bought it because I believe my Antec was defective in that the 12V was like 11.7V or so. I also recently bought a Thermaltake DR. Power power supply tester. It showed that the Antec was generally good, but the -5V was bad. Now the new Thermaltake reads the same. I have tried the tester on two older power supplies that showed that everything was ok. Do new power supplies have a -5V?(sorry if this is a stupid question) Please let me
know if I need to RMA. Also, there appears to be a pin missing on the main motherboard supply (no wire at all). Is there a position that is usually left out? Thanks.
August 18, 2007 7:41:10 AM

11.7v when does it fluxuate? 12v if steady is fine
August 18, 2007 9:29:59 AM

Some newer PSUs don't have the -5V or -12V lines as they are rarely used by todays motherboards. It's normal too that those readings are way wrong.
August 19, 2007 2:00:23 AM

OK thanks for the help. The 11.7V is what is usually reads, never seen it near 12V. It works fine normally, but when I try to overclock my system becomes unstable much sooner that the limit I know it can reach (3800+ Windsor unstable at 2.4GHz). It makes sense to me that the Antec is fine normally but cannot keep the system stable enough at higher clocks. I hope the new PS is good and that I can clock higher, otherwise I have just wasted money :( 
!