New CPU but older board. Please help!

insomnai

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Hey all, I've just upgraded my CPU from the E6600 to the Q6600. It appears i'm lucky enough to have gotten hold of the SLACR g0 stepping batch so i'm looking forward to good things.

The rest of my system is as follows:

DFI Infinity 975X/G
700w Jeantech Storm PSU
2 x 1gb OCZ Reaper PC9200 - 5-5-5-15 2t set at 533 (auto puts them at 2:3)
1 x 300gb & 3 x 250gb Samsung Spintpoint Sata HDD
1 x LiteOn DL DVD Burner
2 x X1950XTX Crossfire
X-FI Extreme Music
plus a standard case.

The CPU currently sits under the first version of the Scythe Mine Cooler (probably half of my problem...) but my idle temps are being reported by CoreTemp as 100 Celcius at tJunction, then 79, 69, 71, 77 degrees celcius respectively, reaching into the 90's after a benchmark. Also, I noticed after running the chip at 2.8ghz (same settings as I used for the E6600) that my 3dMark05 score drops from 17k to 10.5k and after a reboot, bios reports my CPU running at 1.8ghz. I was under the belief that I'd turned all the downgrading options off....

I'd love to get this CPU to the overclocks that you guys are obtaining but i fear that these temperatures are gonna kill me quickly.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Regards

Insomnai

akhilles

Splendid
I don't think you're in position to overclock until you get those temps fixed.

1st thing is look for a new bios update that may fix temp issues with quad or support for quad cpus. I'm surprised your pc didn't restart instantly reaching 90'c. Or is it 'F?

2nd thing is you should start fresh & load bios default if you attempt to o/c a different cpu.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 6: Scale

If temperatures increase beyond Hot Scale, then ~ 5c below Tjunction Max, Throttling is activated. The Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) are used to trigger Intel`s TM1 and TM2 technologies for frequency, multiplier and Vcore Throttling within individual Cores. If Core temperatures increase further to Tjunction Max, then Shutdown occurs. Since Tcase indicates CPU Die temperature only, it is not used for Throttle or Shutdown activation, however, Tjunction Throttle temperature is ~ 95c, so Tcase would be ~ 85c, which would far exceed Tcase Max. As Tcase to Tjunction Deltas are constant, Tcase Max is always the limiting specification for temperatures.

Scale 2: Quad
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Max 1.372, TDP 95w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--80--80--80--80-- Hot
--65--/--75--75--75--75-- Warm
--60--/--70--70--70--70-- Safe
--25--/--35--35--35--35-- Cool

And...

Section 8: Tools

Core Temp 0.95.4 (Beta): http://www.thecoolest.zerobrains.com/CoreTemp

Note 1: Core Temp is an excellent utility, however, it has a fundamental flaw in terminology, which creates confusion in the CPU temperature community, by obscuring the distinction between temperature and specification. Core Temp shows Tjunction 85c (or 100c), which is an incorrect term. The proper expression is Tjunction Max 85c (or 100c), which is the term defined by Intel as shown above in the Specifications section, and as represented below:

Tjunction = Core temperature
Tjunction Max = Shutdown

(A) Junction Temperature is a thermal measurement because it scales, thus the term TJ, or Tjunction, which is synonymous with Core temperature.

(B) Maximum Junction Temperature is a specification because it does not scale, thus the term TJ Max, or Tjunction Max, which is synonymous with Shutdown.

(C) ~ 5c below Tjunction Max Throttling is activated. If Tjunction Max is reached, Shutdown occurs, which is either 85c or 100c, and is determined by Stepping.

And...

Section 14: Troubleshooting

(K) Core Temp 0.9X Tjunction 85c or 100c is Intel`s Spec for Tj Max, is not a temp, and doesn't change.

(L) CPU's manufactured with concave / convex Integrated Heat Spreaders may indicate high Idle to Load Delta.

(M) An improperly seated CPU cooler is the leading cause of abnormally high temperatures.

Comp :sol:

insomnai

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated guys.

Ok, I started looking at the way everything was seated. Didn't take out the CPU but I did however remove the master card for crossfire. Oddly enough, after booting up on a single card, my temps lowered dramatically. 59, 52, 51, 58 respectively.

From Computronix's temperature explanations, these temps are within safe and cool, so i guess it's just my CPU HSF that is utter crap and can't handle the added temp from the second card. Mind you, they do output a hell of a lot of heat anyway.

I have purchased the H20 Apex Ultra + cooling system from Swiftech with an extra single radiator for the CPU and Mainboard and using the double radiator that came with the kit for the twin X1950XTX cards.

I'm taking pieces that aren't detrimental to my system to work to add the water cooling parts piece by piece which is why I took out the first gfx card.

Again, hopefully I'll see good things once things are pinned down.

Regards

Insomnai