Sign in with
Your question

3 Monitor Display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2007 9:06:34 PM

I just got a Dell Latitude D630 Laptop computer. I am currently working off of a desktop PC with dual monitors. I would like to hook up the two monitors (one Digital, one Analog) to my laptop docking station and have a 3 monitor display. If I hook up the two monitors to this computer with the current configuration, I am able to have a dual monitor display, but it will not allow me to use 3 monitors. I purchased a dual monitor video card for my desktop when I hooked up my monitors to the desktop (I say that because it may help me with the laptop configuration). Am I able to hookup the three monitors to the laptop without purchasing an expensive video card? or am I able to configure the computer in this manner at all?

More about : monitor display

August 29, 2007 12:02:10 AM

You wont be able to hook up 3 monitors to a notebook period...

you can use 3 monitors on a desktop with a second video card, but id give up on the 3 monitors on the notebook idea
Related resources
August 29, 2007 12:21:12 AM

Well, I guess I will just have to run a desktop and a laptop to get the three monitors. That might not work because I will have to run 2 mice and 2 keyboards. I guess I won't be able to join the 3 monitor club.
August 29, 2007 12:31:09 AM

So, since I would hook my dell laptop into the docking station that has two ports on the back for two monitors, If I also put a video card in a USB port how is this different than just hooking up the two monitors to the two ports on the back of the docking station. How does this change the way the computer recognizes the monitors coming in.

The only thing I can think of is that when you hook in a monitor to one of the ports on the back of the docking station, it is the same video port that controls the monitor hooked to the laptop. So, therefore, hooking up a monitor to a usb port would be a different input. Am I on the right track?
August 29, 2007 12:32:49 AM

Yep. The USB device there on the link is basically a external video card.

Like I said, don't expect good video performance, but for office work, it should be fine.
August 29, 2007 12:35:36 AM

Oh, I don't need any gaming quality. I just need it for normal office duties. I guess I will sell my other Invidia dual monitor video card that I have only had for a year.
!